PDA

View Full Version : this guy is listening to my pulse server

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
so i get on the web, and my internet slows to a freaking crawl -- my router is working its butt off. i promply shutoff my web server, as its downloading at 150 kbs. My laptop is uploading at 150 kbs, and a wireshark scan tells me that my laptop is proceding to send my audio over the web to some freaking jerk at 224.0.0.56
?????????????
a brief nmap scan shows nothing, and the IP is not in the whois database. I am ticked.

mkvnmtr
December 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
I would like to hear more about this. With more details of what you were doing at the time and what you find about the address.

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
i was trying to help somebody out with Xorg issues -- no networking stuff set up, and i did not forward those ports. I hit the refresh button on the post i was helping, and i realized that i had, in effect, a DOS attack on me. I changed the username and password (on my router) to something totaly random with special chars. Im gonna go and unforward those ports, and both my pc are running ufw now.

akudewan
December 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Very interesting. Perhaps you could prank this person if it happened again...

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Damn it, why'd you shut it off? I was listening to that!

In case you didn't figure it out, I'm joking

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Very interesting. Perhaps you could prank this person if it happened again...

yeah :D time to pull out the exploiting books... lol

jk btw i cant hack

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
damn it, why'd you shut it off? I was listening to that!

in case you didn't figure it out, i'm joking
lol

oh nice one with the white text!

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
this happened yesterday too, i unplugged the router and it fixed it for then...this guy would pay if i could make him!

Sam
December 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
The 224/8 IP range are multicast addresses. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast#IP_multicast_addressing_assignments)

Run paprefs and disable Multicast/RTP sender.

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
yeah i disabled the RTP sender.

The 224/8 IP range are multicast addresses. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_mult...ng_assignments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast#IP_multicast_addressing_assignments))
sorry, but im not the best with networking stuff -- what is multicasting? what does this imply?

[edit] wikipedia expains that in to complicated terms for noobs like me to understand ;)

phrostbyte
December 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
It means you are broadcasting a signal to a bunch of computers on your network.

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
yeah i disabled the RTP sender.

sorry, but im not the best with networking stuff -- what is multicasting? what does this imply?

[edit] wikipedia expains that in to complicated terms for noobs like me to understand ;)

It's a way of sending packets to multiple hosts. Basically in one instance, you'll send a message once that will go out to all of them at the same time, rather than individually sending to each of them.

nerdy_kid
December 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
It means you are broadcasting a signal to a bunch of computers on your network.

you mean im broadcasting to my own pcs????

wow.

now everyone knows what an idiot i am! *waves* :D