PDA

View Full Version : does extra video card memory make that much difference with flash?

sdowney717
December 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
take a geforce 6000 series card, one with 128mb the other with 256mb.
would the 256mb card display full screen flash any better?

I suppose games might play better with more memory.

insane_alien
December 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
it would be indistinguishable as the requirements for flash are so far below the specs of those cards.

flash works fine on integrated graphics chips for and i don't notice a difference if i try it on a dedicated card either. playback is smooth and flawless on either.

CharmyBee
December 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Flash is completely software powered, video cards wouldn't make a difference.

themusicalduck
December 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I think flash does have hardware acceleration.. I can enable it from the options so it must do something like it.

I did notice a difference when I upgraded from my 6600GT 128mb to my gtx260 1 gig card. I can play HD on youtube smoothly now. (most of the time)

I did hope for a bit more of a performance jump but I guess its more down to flash being buggy and my CPU not being particularly powerful.

Skripka
December 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I think flash does have hardware acceleration.. I can enable it from the options so it must do something like it.

I did notice a difference when I upgraded from my 6600GT 128mb to my gtx260 1 gig card. I can play HD on youtube smoothly now. (most of the time)

I did hope for a bit more of a performance jump but I guess its more down to flash being buggy and my CPU not being particularly powerful.

Flash is mostly run off the CPU...it is especially CPU hungry under linux-where on my box, a YouTube HD clip will usually want 20% of my CPU.

NoaHall
December 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

Hehe, that's quite the upgrade.