PDA

View Full Version : Beer Cheese Soup

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
looking for a good recipe for Beer Cheese Soup...anybody have one they use and enjoy personally?

Excedio
December 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Damn that sounds good. Please be sure to post the recipe for all to see! :-D

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM

I found this one posted in the Chicago Sun-Times:

Guinness dubliner cheese soup
March 15, 2006
MAKES 4 SERVINGS

10 ounces Spanish onion, diced
6 ounces teaspoon garlic, diced
6 ounces Kerrygold butter
6 ounces all-purpose flour
3 quarts chicken stock
1 pint heavy cream
8 ounces Guinness beer, divided
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pounds Vintage Dubliner cheese, shredded

Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add flour to make a roux. Slowly add stock while whisking continually. Once well combined, add cream and half of the beer. Then mix remaining beer with dry mustard and salt and add to the soup.

Once the soup starts to thicken, about 30 minutes, add cheese and continually whisk. Do not boil soup. Add salt to taste, then serve with warm, crusty bread.

Nutrition facts per serving: 1,783 calories, 135 g fat, 83 g saturated fat, 411 mg cholesterol, 63 g carbohydrates, 75 g protein, 3,308 mg sodium, 6 g fiber

Dean Eliacostas, Carmichael's Chicago Steak Househttp://www.suntimes.com/recipes/soups/30708,guinnessdublinercheesesoup031506.recipe

I will try this recipe out, but I was really hoping for a personal word of mouth recommendation for an outstanding beer cheese soup recipe.

cascade9
December 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Wow, thats.....heavy.

I have been known to make some form of beer + cheese soup, but its nothing like that. It more like a fondue that decided it wanted to be a supermodel (overly thin) LOL

Sorry, I dont have a recipe exactly, its all done by eye here. This is what I put in it-

Larger (go on, make the 'australians and larger' joke)
Tasty cheddar cheese,
Garlic
Mustard
Butter (nothing like the % in that recipe above, just a tiny pat)
White Pepper (black will work, but white is better)
Salt

Melt the butter, then give the garlic and the pepper a bit of a fry. Add the beer, let it heat slowly- try to avoid boiling it! While its heating, shred/chop/grate the cheese, add it to the beer/garlic mix. If its too thin, add more cheese. If its too think, add more beer. Add mustard and salt (and possibly extra pepper) to taste.

Serve with nice, crusty bread. Lots of it. Its better to eat the beer soup by soaking it into the bread than with these civilised 'spoons'.

BTW, cider works and tastes better. IMO anyway.

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Wow, thats.....heavy.

I have been known to make some form of beer + cheese soup, but its nothing like that. It more like a fondue that decided it wanted to be a supermodel (overly thin) LOL

Sorry, I dont have a recipe exactly, its all done by eye here. This is what I put in it-

Larger (go on, make the 'australians and larger' joke)
Tasty cheddar cheese,
Garlic
Mustard
Butter (nothing like the % in that recipe above, just a tiny pat)
White Pepper (black will work, but white is better)
Salt

Melt the butter, then give the garlic and the pepper a bit of a fry. Add the beer, let it heat slowly- try to avoid boiling it! While its heating, shred/chop/grate the cheese, add it to the beer/garlic mix. If its too thin, add more cheese. If its too think, add more beer. Add mustard and salt (and possibly extra pepper) to taste.

Serve with nice, crusty bread. Lots of it. Its better to eat the beer soup by soaking it into the bread than with these civilised 'spoons'.

BTW, cider works and tastes better. IMO anyway.Thanks for the share.

chucky chuckaluck
December 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
even though i normally think of soup as boiled garbage, this does sound pretty good.

kellemes
December 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
We should ditch all unnecessary ingredients and just drink the beer.

Dougie187
December 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
This one is really good.

http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/kitchen-food-recipes-good-health/37005-le-cellier-cheddar-cheese-soup.html

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM

1) Pour beer in bowl
2) Add cheddar cheese
3) ???
4) PROFIT

We should ditch all unnecessary ingredients and just drink the beer.

This.

JDShu
December 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
This is a delicious sounding concept.

alphaniner
December 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Guinness dubliner cheese soup

You had me at Guinness. Though I have to agree with cascade9, it seems awfully heavy.

HappinessNow
December 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
We should ditch all unnecessary ingredients and just drink the beer....or even better drink the beer while you eat your beer cheese soup! you actually can have your cake and eat it to!