PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen on install?

gophergun
December 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hello, I'm a bit new to this, so please forgive me if this is common knowledge or an obvious mistake on my part or something. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 x64 through Wubi, and everything goes well during the Windows portion, then when I reboot it waits a few seconds to see if I want to choose other menu options, then shows the white Ubuntu logo, then goes to a black screen, with the monitor saying "No signal detected". Any ideas?

Note: I had tried this a few months ago back when Ubuntu 9.10 first came out, and going into safe graphics mode to install worked, but locked me at 640x480, and installing the ATI driver for my 4850 led to the "black screen after Ubuntu logo" problem returning. I'm not sure if things have changed since then, but I thought it might be useful.

gophergun
December 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Anyone? I'd really like to avoid going back to Windows, but understandably a computer without a screen is a bit difficult to work with. :/

tohecz
December 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
What type of PC is that? Desktop or notebook? Try removing all unnecessary devices (on desktop simply remove them from slots, on notebook disable them in BIOS). This helped to me, the problem was with WiFi and it was probably some problem with interruptions...

gophergun
December 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
What type of PC is that? Desktop or notebook? Try removing all unnecessary devices (on desktop simply remove them from slots, on notebook disable them in BIOS). This helped to me, the problem was with WiFi and it was probably some problem with interruptions...
Desktop, and there's nothing unnecessary plugged into it besides a USB flash drive....I'll give it a shot, but I don't have high hopes for that helping.

EDIT: Just went into the BIOS and turned off pretty much everything. USB controllers, networking, sound, anything that had an option and tried again, still not working properly.