PDA

View Full Version : Linux finally attracting some development time? But is it worth it?

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Hi everyone!

I've just found this:

**Free** Award Winning Avast Antivirus For Linux (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-linux-workstation.html) (To be released next month!)

I'm glad that Linux has grown to the point where a predominantly *windows* anti-virus manufacturer has set aside some development time for the Linux OS!

I'm also glad, because it adds another shield around an already inherantly secure OS!

But what i'm asking is, is it really necessary to have an antivirus for a Linux OS such as Ubuntu? And is it worth it? Bearing in mind to have it sat there "just doing its job" in the background will be using up *some* system resources? :confused:

I apologise if I am showing my "noobness" by posting this, as for all I know, anti-virus and anti-spyware applications for Linux are actually COMMON! :confused:

All the best!

John

Bragador
February 22nd, 2006, 02:11 AM
haha I love that program ! I have it on my windows box and it rocks. Ok it's propriatary but on windows everything is like that.

Very good software.

But don't we already have "clams" or something for linux viruses.

(interesting fact : the plural of virus is viruses http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/v/virus.html)

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2006, 02:13 AM
haha I love that program ! I have it on my windows box and it rocks. Ok it's propriatary but on windows everything is like that.

Very good software.

But don't we already have "clams" or something for linux viruses.

(interesting fact : the plural of virus is viruses http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/v/virus.html)

The Linux version will be *FREE*??

So, what do you think? Necessary, or something that WILL BE needed in a few years, but not yet?

gord
February 22nd, 2006, 02:14 AM
no computer system is ever 100% secure but i feel comercial antivirus solutions are just praying on the windows users moving over to linux that feel they absolutly need a virus-scanner.

right now you don't need one *really*, but for every linux computer that doesn't have one, it just increases the chance that one day there will be a virus that manages to do som't harmfull on a big scale.

on the opinion of if you really need one, i beleve this topic has been addressed maybe a badgillion times before ;)

prizrak
February 22nd, 2006, 02:23 AM
A/V software is fairly useless in the FOSS community. Simple reason being that it's retroactive not proactive. They only protect from KNOWN viruses. So a virus comes out, does damage, and an A/V vendor creates a new .dat virus that will recognize that virus and stop it. In the FOSS world patches come out VERY quickly after a vulnerability has been found so there is little reason for an A/V as the exploit will be closed.

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:27 AM
The best use for an antivirus in Linux is to scrub networks with Windows machines on them.

Kvark
February 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
There have been very few Linux viruses throughout history so there is nothing to do for an anti virus program that protects a Linux system. It would be searching for like 5 or something viruses that have never actually been in the wild and that target way outdated exploits. Perhaps Linux will need anti virus in the future several years from now when it becomes more popular on the desktop market or perhaps not, that question has been speculated to death and back, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But it can still be good to have a program that searches for Windows viruses on a Linux computer, which is exactly what anti virus programs for Linux does. Just imagine if a clueless coworker sends an infected word document to you. You add some more to it without being infected or noticing anything and send it in to your boss. Your bosses computer stops working and starts acting funny instead. Knowing that you are a computer geek your boss assumes it's some kind of hacker practical joke and gets furious at you.

xequence
February 22nd, 2006, 03:06 AM
I dont need one on Windows and I dont need one on Linux =P

prizrak
February 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
There have been very few Linux viruses throughout history so there is nothing to do for an anti virus program that protects a Linux system. It would be searching for like 5 or something viruses that have never actually been in the wild and that target way outdated exploits. Perhaps Linux will need anti virus in the future several years from now when it becomes more popular on the desktop market or perhaps not, that question has been speculated to death and back, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But it can still be good to have a program that searches for Windows viruses on a Linux computer, which is exactly what anti virus programs for Linux does. Just imagine if a clueless coworker sends an infected word document to you. You add some more to it without being infected or noticing anything and send it in to your boss. Your bosses computer stops working and starts acting funny instead. Knowing that you are a computer geek your boss assumes it's some kind of hacker practical joke and gets furious at you.
There are much more than 5 viruses for Linux and there been more than a few in the wild. Apache Slammer is probably the best example (well I suppose it's a worm rather than a virus). Your reasoning is pretty much what an Avast rep said in an interview a while ago, he said their software does scan for Linux viruses but is there mostly to prevent Windows viruses from being spread by immune Linux machines.

MetalMusicAddict
February 22nd, 2006, 03:39 AM
Prizrak is right. You have to remember that the linux server market is vastly larger then the desktop. People who write worms/viruses also go after servers.

But... I think practicing smart computing and a hardware firewall will help keep you safe.