PDA

View Full Version : Any other Samsung LE40B650 or similar owners?

PartisanEntity
December 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
A few days ago I got the Samsung LE40B650 LCD TV. The price was right, and the picture quality and features are amazing for this price class.

The feature I am most hyped about is that the TV connects wirelessly to my wifi network and can render media from my media NAS. Very cool.

Believe it or not this is the first flat screen TV I have ever bought and I am amazed at how advanced TV's have become.

Now the issue I am having, is that I seem to have to enter my wifi password manually every time I want it to connect to my network, it doesnt seem to be storing the password.

Any other users experience this? Is it a firmware bug or by design?

The other question is, this thing probably has linux on it, any hacking experiences? ;)

sudoer541
December 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
A few days ago I got the Samsung LE40B650 LCD TV. The price was right, and the picture quality and features are amazing for this price class.

The feature I am most hyped about is that the TV connects wirelessly to my wifi network and can render media from my media NAS. Very cool.

Believe it or not this is the first flat screen TV I have ever bought and I am amazed at how advanced TV's have become.

Now the issue I am having, is that I seem to have to enter my wifi password manually every time I want it to connect to my network, it doesnt seem to be storing the password.

Any other users experience this? Is it a firmware bug or by design?

The other question is, this thing probably has linux on it, any hacking experiences? ;)

congrats! you made a good choice using Samsung! Samsung TVs are very high quality.
I am planning to buy the 32 inch TV soon. Now the problem with the wifi could be a bug, however check the samsung website to see if they released a new software for your TV.
I dont recommend you to hack it because it might void your warranty. If you dont have warranty, it may fry your tv and you cant repair it.

PartisanEntity
December 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
congrats! you made a good choice using Samsung! Samsung TVs are very high quality.
I am planning to buy the 32 inch TV soon. Now the problem with the wifi could be a bug, however check the samsung website to see if they released a new software for your TV.
I dont recommend you to hack it because it might void your warranty. If you dont have warranty, it may fry your tv and you cant repair it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have discovered that the TV does in fact store the password, and will connect to my home network, all it takes is patience.

It does not seem to connect the moment i turn it on, but about 3-4 minutes later.

I also carried out a firmware upgrade just to be on the safe side.

Haven't been able to identify what OS it uses though since the firmware update files were all encrypted (*.enc).