PDA

View Full Version : Why people use different linux distros at the same time...

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
performance difference... ? customization capabilities...? or for testing puproses...?
just curious to know.
thank you very much :popcorn:

killa.fr0gg
December 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
because it's fun!
especially if you're running multiple monitors

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
because it's fun!
especially if you're running multiple monitors
oh i don't know anything about that multiple monitors :(

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Testing and very briefly. I only really use Ubuntu and cannot see myself using a different distro. No rational explanation or compelling reason, just how things are. So I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. Though I will be testing Alpha 1 of 10.04 on 10 December.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

Why Ubuntu? Well I have tested it since it first came out with long pauses between. I look forward to the day I can completely move over.

killa.fr0gg
December 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
For most people, using different distros is done mostly simply because they CAN. For people like myself, however, while I, too, do it for that reason, it is also because I need to test compatibility of my software or other content and stay on top of all the trends. Doing this was also a great way to introduce myself to the art of computation way back when! So really, you just do it for whatever reason you WANT, because Linux gives you that option!

madnessjack
December 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
+1 fun

People are all different. They dress differently, behave differently, live differently etc. Linux lets us use our computers differently too :)

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
+1 fun

People are all different. They dress differently, behave differently, live differently etc. Linux lets us use our computers differently too :)
i agree with what you say, but people cannot wear two shirt at the same time or two jeans at the same time :p

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
On different machines, one can use different distros because one is more suitable than others for the purpose of the machine. Multiple distros on a single machine is pretty much pointless, but we have all done it at some point. I guess it's fun when you're discovering Linux, but the fun wears off pretty quickly.

PartisanEntity
December 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
multiple personalities, each likes a different distro...

MelDJ
December 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
for fun and to try out new/other features :D

Ylon
December 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
"same time" is misleadig. Are we talking of different boot option (Linux Distros) in grub or QEMU/Virtualbox features?

Anyway, I use "low perfomances" PC.. so, for me "multiple" stand for "reboot after reboot".

For some time I was used to stay with just Karmic, but now (tired to wait for a fix to my OpenGL issues) "I had to add" Mint XFCE 7.

When want gaming/wine I'd boot Mint, Karmic for anything else

Dragonbite
December 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
performance difference... ? customization capabilities...? or for testing puproses...?
just curious to know.
thank you very much :popcorn:

Yeah, "at the same time" makes me think of running distro-in-a-distro virtualized!

I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop because it's quick and easy and has the most 3rd party apps. This one is used by my kids, wife and myself.

My laptop, though, is running Fedora and I am the only one that uses it right now. I started with Fedora on it because Fedora 12 picked up my broadcom wireless card out-of-the-box and has performed perfectly (Jaunty + Broadcom = headache). So I'm taking this opportunity to learn a different distro (Fedora) and a different DE (KDE).

I also fool around with openSUSE at times, just for the fun of it.

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
thanks for all your inputs. and actualy what i meant by at the same time is i have seen here people USING several distros in multiple machines or single ones. i was thinking why they dont get contended with one distro and master in it. for example ubuntu. sorry for my bad english by the way.

handy
December 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I have a few machines; did a lot of multiple distro hopping until I found Arch, now I use Arch primarily, OS X very rarely, (on the same machine), Mint-Xfce-6 on box No.2. as an emergency web access system; FreeNAS (also on box No.2. via drive drawers, for its designed purpose & on a 3rd box I running 24/7 is IPCop/Copfilter, as my firewall/router+.

Firewall/router is a PIII 733 with a 2GB HDD & I've just tested it with my new tester, & it costs me $55-/year to run. (for anyone that's interested). That's at 19.62 cents/kwh in Oz $.)

Chame_Wizard
December 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
multiple personalities, each likes a different distro...

good one.:P

armageddon08
December 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Testing and fun.

RiceMonster
December 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Because all the cool kids are doing it

xuCGC002
December 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
i agree with what you say, but people cannot wear two shirt at the same time or two jeans at the same time :p
Layered T-Shirts? I wear them occasionally.

Anywho, why use two distros at once? Because you can.