PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Window placement strangeness in Gnome

brunjes
December 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I am not sure what causes this:

When I have an empty desktop, I can place four gnome-terminal windows in a non-overlapping manner on the screen. Two windows are side-by-side and the other two can be dragged below the first two windows and they form a nice square of four terminal windows.

It's easy enough to drag them around, but it would be nicer if I could just click an icon on the top panel that launches the gnome-terminals and have them line up that way by themselves.

The first two line up just the way I want them to. However the third terminal window is attracted to the bottom edge of the screen and the fourth is placed against the far right edge of the screen (away from the third terminal window as well as the second terminal window above and to the left).

What is the simplest way to make them line up? "Window Rules" in compiz is hopeless confusing and poorly documented (in my opinion of course). Is there a simple way to force the layout I want?

I would rather the terminal windows just "attract" each other without setting fixed pixel locations for each one.

Thanks,

Roy