PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What does "Working" mean

jimw
December 2nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
As a bit of background, I downloaded and burned the Karmic iso for Desktop, then when I went to upgrade from the cd, learned that I ought to have downloaded 'alternate.'

Since it took me about ten hours to download what I've got, I decided to do the upgrade from the net, overnight.

Imagine my surprise when I was told to insert the disk and press return!

Unfortunately, I was required to insert the disk and press return at regular intervals, though I did discover that it would take a whole lot of 'Returns' in advance, and when the message came to insert the disk, automatically go to the next section.
telling me a percentage of what was loaded each time.

Late this morning, it showed 100%, but asked to to insert the dask and press return.

I pressed return, and the message came up, 100% [Working]. Shrtly after that came a message saying Media Change, and informing me to insert the disk and press return.

Most of the day I've been pressing Return, and it still says Working, and eventually asks me to insert the disk and press return again.

As you can all guess, I don't know enough about computers to feel safe experimenting. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here, and hopefully, how long its likely to go on?

JimW