PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] BBC iplayer - audio on 9.10

Janeleaper
December 2nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Hi. There is a thread on iplayer, but it seems to be about video. My problem is with audio only. My apologies if I should have stayed with the existing thread.

I'm outside the UK which means I can only use the BBC iplayer for audio (i.e. radio programmes). Video is blocked if you are outside the UK. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 yesterday. Up to that point the iplayer was working fine, but since I upgraded I can't get the iplayer to work for anything except live radio. Pre-recorded radio programmes won't play. I've tested the iplayer on my other computer which has 8.04 and it is working fine, so this is a problem with the upgrade, not the BBC.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Janeleaper
December 2nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
To add some information -- I had the same problem when I updated from 8.10 to 9.04. On that occasion it was because I had two versions of Java installed, 5 and 6. I uninstalled 5 and that sorted the problem. This time I only have 6 installed, so that is not what is causing the problem.

alexfish
December 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hi 'Janeleaper (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=625942)

I have pick your thread up via the other post , hope to be back soon

also keep checking your thread , to see if any other members have replied to your post

if after a day or so there is no post

you can try posting on your own thread again with a quote from the original

some one may spot it

Regards

alexfish

alexfish
December 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi

did everything work on 9.04
your original message a bit confusing on the other post

but just for reading

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F12276883?thread=6518935
http://www.epltalk.com/how-tv-is-the-last-bastion-for-the-internet-to-conquer/11514

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6236612.stm

says it all

regards

alexfish

Janeleaper
December 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Alexfish. Thanks for your interest in my problem

Yes I did get the iplayer working in 9.04, and had no problems since, until the upgrade to 9.10.

Thanks for the links to the bbc iplayer discussion group. I didn't realise they had a diagnostics. I'm going to see if I can use it.

Janeleaper
December 5th, 2009, 01:12 AM
No, I went through everything on the BBC iplayer site, and there wasn't anything useful.

alexfish
December 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM
No, I went through everything on the BBC iplayer site, and there wasn't anything useful.

Hi

do any sounds work at all on your system ?

also if you can go back to this page where is reads Marker #######

and follow the instructions here

then post the results here it may help / trying to illiminate pulse problems after

upgrade

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326072&page=3

regards

alexfish

Janeleaper
December 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm doing a lot of multi-tasking at the moment!

Yes, I do have sound, and I can also listen to "live" BBC radio. It is only the "listen again" function which will not work.

Later today I'll go through the instructions on the other thread that your reply links to, and see what happens.

alexfish
December 6th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm doing a lot of multi-tasking at the moment!

Yes, I do have sound, and I can also listen to "live" BBC radio. It is only the "listen again" function which will not work.

Later today I'll go through the instructions on the other thread that your reply links to, and see what happens.

posted this link worth aread

http://www.anonymous-proxies.org/2009/02/using-iplayer-abroad-viewing-bbc-via.html

Janeleaper
December 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry Alexfish. I've had another look at the linked thread and frankly I don't understand it. I don't have enough technical understanding. The only thing I've gleaned from it is that if BBC iplayer isn't working there doesn't seem to currently be a cure.

alexfish
December 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry Alexfish. I've had another look at the linked thread and frankly I don't understand it. I don't have enough technical understanding. The only thing I've gleaned from it is that if BBC iplayer isn't working there doesn't seem to currently be a cure.

Hi

you are correct, this why I had to ask if you had any sound at all

if read the above links in my second post it gives the reasons why

and the forth post is what some people are doing to get around this

regards

alexfish

alexfish
December 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM

This link may be worth a try / have a look see what you think

http://wiki.flexion.org/BBCiPlayer.html

cornelis spronk
December 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I have struggled for 2 days after installing 9.10.

In my search I found that iPlayer is programed to use an older linux kernel than that used by 9.10.

I have reinstalled 9.04, because not being able to listen to BBCiPlayer is more important to me that using 9.10. I am not happy about it.

I am assuming that the problem will be corrected in a few months. As soon as iPlayer is modified to run on the 9.10 kernel. I will update my OS to 9.10.

Janeleaper
December 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thank-you Cornelis, I suspected the answer was something like that. Fortunately I have two other computers running 8.04, so I'll use one to listen to the BBC until this problem gets sorted.

And thank-you also Alexfish. You have gone the extra mile to try to find a solution.

numbness05
December 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Actually I was having this problem a while ago with 9.10 but found a cure.. If only I could remember what it is as I seem to be having the same trouble again.

But if I remember correctly Linux has its own Native version of flash (need to find out what it is called) and if I remember correctly further still I think that was the answer to my problem he first time round.

Have a quick look your self for a native flash player that may just work.

alexfish
December 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Actually I was having this problem a while ago with 9.10 but found a cure.. If only I could remember what it is as I seem to be having the same trouble again.

But if I remember correctly Linux has its own Native version of flash (need to find out what it is called) and if I remember correctly further still I think that was the answer to my problem he first time round.

Have a quick look your self for a native flash player that may just work.

Should Not be if you you live in GB

with BBCiPlayer Use the Test Facility If Nothing is Wrong with the test

Something is Wrong /Possibly Flash plugins if you Have Upgraded Flash/

Janeleaper
December 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Just an update. Yesterday I upgraded the second of our two desktop pcs from 8.04 to 9.10. This was so that I could get the webcam working and use Skype.

Having upgraded, desktop 2 has the same problem as desktop 1 - that the BBC iplayer will not play "listen again" radio programmes, so this seems to be a general problem with the compatibility of karmic and the bbc iplayer, not just a faulty upgrade.

Fortunately I don't need to upgrade our dell mini 10 v in order to use Skype, so I can continue to listen to BBC radio on that.

Janeleaper
December 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
I'm making a little progress in finding a solution to this problem. Someone on the BBC iplayer forum suggested it was a problem with the fact I'd installed Skype and a webcam, not with upgrading to 9.10.

I started another thread asking if anyone else had a problem with the iplayer, outside the Uk, after upgrading to 9.10. Several people have replied saying that they have no problem.

I tried unplugging the webcam, and uninstalling Skype and restarted. No progress.

I then tried out Chrome and Epiphany browsers to see if they would play, No they won't.

However, I do think that it is the webcam and Skype that is probably causing the problem, not the upgrade. I think it has altered the settings in some way. Any ideas anyone?

Janeleaper
December 22nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
Since this is a different problem -- Skype interfering with iplayer, rather than 9.10, I've started a separate thread, and I'm marking this solved.

Thanks.

polki@mac.com
December 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know why, but I can at last listen to Radio Shetland here in Sweden again! By using Mint... It complains about needing a plug-in and I picked gecko-mplayer. Works! Can't get it to work on my Ubuntu puters... Spare Mint puter is good to have :-)