PDA

View Full Version : [other] Full install of Mepis over Ubuntu

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hey everyone! It's been awhile. I wanted to do a clean install of Mepix Anti-X 8.2., over the Ubuntu 610 that is present on my machine. however, the machine is stripped of windows..NO WINDOWS, FULL INSTALL OF UBUNTU 610. Ok, at one time I could put these disk in and still update/upgrade. I went through synaptic and the udate manager and my computer will not let either happen.

I cannot update through 610 what-so-ever. I may need to switch out the present drive with another one, that is pending in case this is the culprit.

Meantime.. exactly what prompt do I use to open up 8.04 disk when I am booting up? it just keeps going right back into 610..nothing I am doing is working. I figure this may happen if I burn Mepis and try it too. So..what prompt do I use? if I use f2/f12 I am crusing for a bruising in the windows bios option, in which is probably usless anyway. Ok, any ideas? I thought I added this in my notes, my bad.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Which operating system is currently on your HDD?

What are your boot options in Grub?

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hey thanks for coming up..

Currently Ubuntu 610, and..I see no particular grub loader, only that it is doing just that, saying Grub starting up.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
You had a HDD with Ubuntu 6.10 installed on it.

Then you decided to replace Ubuntu 6.10 with Mepis Anti-X 8.2.

Is that correct?

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Well that is what I would like to do..but I have other disk and tried them, 710, 704 604 and none of them opened up with the choice of install.

I at one time, could do just that, pop in a different distro and have that choice, to either A..install over and or add, or strip the machine and put that distro on it in itself. Now..It continues to boot straight to Ubuntu 610. As Synaptic and download manager will not update to anything I choose, so, I am trying to do it from the disk. Its not happening and I dont know why, it has worked for me in the past.

Sherri

I have not as yet tried Mepis but if the others aren't going to boot to the install option, then I beleive Mepis wont either. No reason to beleive otherwise. There must be a prompt to enter into the distro and install.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Do you have a copy of the latest Ubuntu version 9.10? The desktop version is also a live CD.

I would think that support for Mepis Anti-X 8.2 here would be somewhat less than that for Ubuntu, for obvious reasons.

Would you please state what your computer is in terms of:

1. CPU
2. GPU (graphics processing unit)
3. RAM
4. HDD (hard disk drive(s), GB and how many)

If you could choose a particular version of a distro then one can focus on installing that.

For example, if you were to put the Ubuntu 9.10 desktop version in the CD drive, and reboot, are you able to run the CD live and or install.

If you wish to install a version of linux, which one is it?

To what stage does it get to before it stops working?

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hey thanks for getting back to me. I have 3 computers in my room, this one I bought 2 years ago without the CD. Windows Xp already installed on it. Tis the reason I have not the entire info on it and I did not log it. It became virus infected. It kept redirecting the browser, I would fix it then it started again. So tried to reload windows xp 2..my copy and the drivers.. would not load. Strange. I decided to test Ubuntu but did a full install, mistake. Wrong distro, however, it tested fine and works, drivers and all. Again strange. It is an optiplex 210L has over 250 MB that part I remember. GPU RAM and GPU for the windows pc?..clueless as said earlier, didnt log any of that. Not sure that would really matter at this point. GB yes, only because the OS does work.

All the CDS I have with Ubuntu are live..none are working, the Ubuntuu I installed for the test drive is working and is fully installed,thus wiping out the windows partition all together, well it just keeps loading (Ubuntu). Doesn't matter what prompt I use, f1, f2, del f12..it just keeps opening up to the Ubuntu log in. I dont know why this is happening.

I should have this option to view another distro when rebooting with different distro in drawer, not happening, so my take is that 910 would be useless as well even if I did have a copy, presently I do not. I was opting for..Mepis. Havent made my copy of that either. If I cannot get into my computer with the other CD's then I thought maybe its the drawer itself, maybe..or I thought of downloading Hirens boot CD and if that did not open up to its offerings in proper place, I am really screwed with a dead copy of Ubuntu 610.

Remember, I cannot update, not through synaptic or udate manager with 610, the OS wont let me. It was just a test drive and I installed it, that was stupid. Now as said, its a dead unit, cant get anywhere else.

By the way, when I hit f1, f2, I do get the windows xp blue window bios, not the blue reinstallation guide at all. Cant change anything in there either, I tried, it dont save changes.

Its a nutty machine..but it has to work, its just not co-operating. Oh..its a computer..what did I expect..anyhoo, so yes..this is the issue in question. Ya..in the middle of downloading Hirens my IE quit, gotta love vista, what a joke. I am in a jam with that computer, I want a good distro from Linux on it, I figured Mepis would be King, but just getting the OS to do something period is the problem now.

Thanks Sherri.

Optiplex 210L Hey..dumb question..since I stripped Windows XP from this machine all together and tried to reload windows xp both service pack 2..well, could service pack 1 not even be on either CD's, and that may have rendered an issue from the beginning? I just thought it to be strange that none of the drivers loaded from my copy of windows, found this out in device manager. Then again, Ubuntu works, but it wont co-operate for my needs.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
May I suggest the following course of action which I ask you to please modify before we proceed.

The facts as I understand it. You have three computers. The one with XP previously installed is the computer to be fixed. So let us ignore the other two for now for it would get far too confusing.

You have removed XP. So basically you have a computer, minimum hardware that used to run XP, but you can freely format the harddrive to get a working operating system.

Please review my comprehension of the above facts and correct me where applicable.

Now to the task at hand. Your first choice of operating system is Mepix Anti-X 8.2 but this creates the following problem for me. I have never seen this operating system. May I therefore suggest that you either select Ubuntu 9.10 or Windows XP (with service pack 1 preferably).

If installing Mepix Anti-X 8.2 is essential then I must state I can not longer assist, as that is beyond my present ability.

A word about XP, it needs as a minimum service pack 1 as it was rather awful prior to that.

Please advise how you wish to proceed, Ubuntu 9.10 or XP.

bobbob1016
December 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
If you do not need to keep any data from Ubuntu, you can just boot from your AntiX CD and should be able to just have it erase and install over Ubuntu.

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hey thanks on this, and your on the money. I will download a copy of Mepis, try to see what it will perform, and as a last result change out that drawer if there is no responce.

Geezz, if the cd drawer is the culprit at hand..heck, who knows that computer might not even read the drive at all wtih a different on in there. I will give it a go.

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hello, thank you for your reply..

As in the beginning stated, one computer, I was just trying to sail you into the direction in which I was going because this was your request.

Sorry it became confusing. How could I reformat if the issue at hand was about not being able to boot up in the first place?? tis ok..I just thought I was clear on that part..

I have XP disk with service pack 2 only. My thoughts were..maybe the XP 2 was not working in the first place because (wild guess) because 1 was not installed..again, guessing. This coming from my last note. Remember..Ubuntu is the OS system on this particular machine now. If you go back over my request, you will be able to sift out the path in which I was trailing down.

I don't beleive Mepis is someting new.. it was suggested to me by another user of this distro. I checked it out on You Tube and it looked rather inviting, thus comes the desire of its use.

To error is human, to really fowl things up requires a computer.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
not being able to boot up in the first place??

Lets start with that.

When you turn on your computer, at what stage does it stop working?

Does it give an error message and if so, what is it?

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Ok, hey, I am back, work, home, duty calls and now..the fun stuff.

I have a copy of Mepis, put it in the PC in question, same thing is happening all over again, it wont boot to Mepis but goes straight to the Ubuntu log in..NIGHTMARE

I decided to test it in another computer (windows vista) the Mepis came right up, soooo, its must be the drawer, its not responding or something.

What did come up in the problem computer..

The black window stating where the computer was made and bios blah blah blah. Then the info that is suppose to help..

Press F1 to continue F2 for set-up. There is no getting past either of these as stated in earlier notes. I just end up in the entry bios sequence window that I again cannot alter what-so-ever, tried 100 times.

Any ideas? unless there is a new prompt to try. I have another CD-R/RW drawer I am going to switch out and see if the computers will read from that drawer. This is the only info I have at hand on this problem computer.. ROM BIOS PLUS VERSION 1.10 A00, and it does say..

Floppy disk failure... then tells you to press F1 F2 key..then the other usless window shows up.

Thats it, I figured floppy disk is floppy disk not the CD drawer, but I have always had issues with that drawer. Here I go, I will get that drawer in and try Mepis again.

Sherri

Thanks for your help, something has to give, hope it wont be my heart, Ha!

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Ok, this is what it is still doing, and, I switched to a newer drawer, one that I know works. Insert CD-R into replaced drawer...

-opens up to a black window..

-Gives the name of the company where computer was was made and sais RON BIOS 1.10 A00

-Floppy disk failure strike F1 to continue and F2 for set-up..when I do this I am back in the dark deep blue window of the windows bois sequence in which I cannot alter. This comes again even though I just switched out the drawer.

If I wait, it opens up into Ubuntu log in window, I can log in, get to the Ubuntu desktop, then the CD in drawer,.Mepis will work, but will not open up to the boot sequence in order to install Mepis and or windows, nothing is working. Should I try the Hirens boot disk? havent made it yet, it takes awhile to download it, I am feeling like that my not work either.

Oh ya and hey, gotta love a Dell, they dont make things easy for you to switch out the drawers..rather nuts and bolts or whatever, but..where there is a will there is a way.

What is going on with this machine?

This is mind boggling.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM
There is no getting past either of these as stated in earlier notes. I just end up in the entry bios sequence window that I again cannot alter what-so-ever, tried 100 times.

Any ideas?

You are describing the install process of Mepis Anti-X 8.2, but unfortunately as I have stated I have no experience with that operating system, and this being a Ubuntu community forum and all.

Generally speaking if all you are seeing is the BIOS text at boot up, then either physical CD drive is the issue, possible BIOS hierarchy of start up devices eg HDD/CD-ROM/external, or there is something wrong with the CD itself.

-Floppy disk failure

Is that even needed?

I am back in the dark deep blue window of the windows bois sequence in which I cannot alter.

Perhaps enter the BIOS and just double check all the settings, specifically those related to your CD ROM and device boot sequence.

If I wait, it opens up into Ubuntu log in window, I can log in, get to the Ubuntu desktop, then the CD in drawer

In other words a successful Ubuntu boot?

Mepis will work, but will not open up to the boot sequence in order to install Mepis and or windows, nothing is working.

I am unable to comment regarding that operating system.

If you are referring to a boot loader, that is what Operating Systems are displayed at boot to choose from, in Ubuntu that is managed by a program called "Start Up Manager". You may need to install it via synaptic, search for "startupmanager". The boot loader is known as GRUB.

Should I try the Hirens boot disk? havent made it yet, it takes awhile to download it, I am feeling like that my not work either.

A CD/USB boot device may well prove useful with your troubleshooting.

What is going on with this machine?

This is mind boggling.

Indeed! Don't give up though.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Ubuntu..hello..

No, I am not describing the install of Mepis, Mepis will not open on the problem machine, if this was the case there would be no issue. It opened on a test round with a different machine in which the Mepis did work, so the CD idea is not the issue..however, I am not installing Mepis on the machine with Vista,.. again that was the test ground. The only window I can even reach is the XP boot sequence on the problem machine, doesnt matter what I do in there, it doesnt fix the problem machine, it just continues to boot right back into the Ubuntu log in. With or without a CD..

I would consider the option of a possible the physical CD drive an issue in of it itself but the Ubuntu installed on the problem machine does work..soooooo, not sure why I cant update or anyting in Ubuntu but it does work..I can reach my desktop. I switched the drawer out and it works perfectly fine, but..the machine itself is flipping out or something.

Uh..no the floppy disk is not needed, I am telling you what is coming up when I start the machine??????? in the black window...

I did do a work on the boot sequence in Windows and its alterations are inaffective. So I changed them all back to defaults.

As said earlie in my notes, I dont at this point understand all the repetition needed to make myself clear hear but ok...YES..SUCCESSFUL BOOT INTO UBUNTU..

Thanks..I know what the boot loader is..

I will download the Hirens boot disk, they have that option, but don't call me on it.

Of course I wont give up >Ubuntu< the individual helping me..

It's an operatable machine, but..it has a mind of its own..it taking on a new life form..ya thats it..HA!..

Anything is possible.

I am an idiot with multi quote..doesnt work for me, sorry about that.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
it just continues to boot right back into the Ubuntu log in. With or without a CD..

I know you have looked at the boot loader already, but that determines what is booted. That you turn on the computer and it loads the Ubuntu operating system is a function of the boot loader, GRUB. That can be edited.

not sure why I cant update or anyting in Ubuntu but it does work..I can reach my desktop. I switched the drawer out and it works perfectly fine, but..the machine itself is flipping out or something.

Stating the obvious, but Ubuntu requires root level to make and apply changes, to such things as GRUB (the boot loader).

Uh..no the floppy disk is not needed, I am telling you what is coming up when I start the machine??????? in the black window...

It shows because, very likely, your BIOS has included it in the boot order.

Let me give you an example.

My computer has a CD/DVD drive, and two HDD. The BIOS boot order is as follows:

1 CD/DVD drive (when I turn my computer on it checks if it needs to boot from a CD/DVD. If one is there, then it reads the medium and if not it goes to the next step.

2. HDD with the boot loader, Windows 7 and Ubnutu 9.10 operating systems.

The bootloader defaults to Windows 7. To load Ubuntu I need to highlight that option using my keyboard.

I did do a work on the boot sequence in Windows and its alterations are inaffective. So I changed them all back to defaults.

Defaults is fine but it does a boot sequence that includes a floppy drive and that can be safely removed.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hey Ubuntu

So if I get back into figuring out root again, I can do what is needed to get my computer working again, that will take ages. I can only try, its not like its going to blow up but I will mess up Ubuntu, it will not be a first.

On the floppy disk..there is none, no floppy disk in the computer. In the bios it is not present, so I dont know why it keeps coming up. Only one CD drawer in which I just installed tonight. I am dealing with the same issue.

How can I edit the Grub unless I become root..my machine will die in the process, oh well. I downloaded Hirens boot disk, tomorrow I will burn it and give it a go after my duties here at home. Its my last resort before I start messing around in root in ubuntu again. Why not. This should not be an issue. Its not present in the bios at all.

Weird, but then again, its happening to me so not so strange.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 05:38 AM
How can I edit the Grub unless I become root

In Ubuntu 9.10 use synaptic to download and install a program called "startupmanager".

Use that to edit GRUB.

Yes you need to be root in order to make system changes.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Thank you.. I will see if synaptic will be compliant, I cant update ubuntu 610..it is not 910.

I am considering taking the battery off the motherboard to see if that may help, I found some info on the web that supported the idea, I did it to my daughter-in-laws lap-top to perform some help she needed and it worked, never have tried with a tower,, I have nothing to lose at this point. I am going to skip over to see if this will work what you submitted.

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM
There is no startupmanager with Ubuntu 610. Its Hirens tomorrow..then the battery..then if that doesnt work, its going in the basement with the other computer I no longer use. I keep that for parts.

Sherri

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
It really does sound like the boot loader.

You wrote:

"Floppy disk failure strike F1 to continue and F2 for set-up..when I do this I am back in the dark deep blue window of the windows bois sequence in which I cannot alter."

Is this just the *bios* sequence (I'm a little thrown by the use of the word 'windows' as this shouldn't be tied to any the operating system - and it should be full screen rather than in a window)? Is this what you get when you press F2 (as opposed to F1)? (I'm guessing it is, but I just want to be clear). You say it can't be changed, but what options appear? And could you tell us in what order the devices appear on your boot loader?

If it's the case that it's being told to boot from hard disk before looking to the cd, then that would seem to be your problem. If you really can't edit or change the bios (I'm not doubting you, it's just that I'm surprised as I've never had this in my experience) then it's problematic because, as far as I know, you can't change this from within an operating system either. The only thing I would suggest at this point would be the radical step of formatting the hard disk altogether, so that next boot up, it finds nothing there and moves to look at the cd. But that's would be the last thing I'd try, and only if you're not going to do anything else with the machine!

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I am considering taking the battery off the motherboard

Please reconsider this. It is wholly unnecessary and may only create more problems. I seriously doubt it has any relevance.

There is no startupmanager with Ubuntu 610.

You need to download and install it via synaptic as it is not include in the initial default install. It may be of interest to your troubleshooting to know what GRUB reveals, via the startupmanager.

This is where one locates, downloads, and installs the Start Up Manager.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2333/screenshotsynapticpacka.png

Start Up Manager in action.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8710/screenshotstartupmanage.png

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hello, thank you for your reply.

It opens up after the Dell logo with the choice of F1 F2 if this is tapped, it will take me to the full blue page sequence window starting from left to right:

System-
Drives-
Onboard deviced-
Video-
Performances-
Securety-
Powermanagment-
Maintenance-
Post Behavior-

I have altered a few of these, mainly the drives to see if that was an issue and it still didnt work, so I set them all back to default. I logged my trail to make sure all was back the way this window was found. Originally I had re-loaded Windows XP, but with device manager showing issues I could not resolve, I tested and older Ubuntu 610 and installed it..( Not using my noodle ) and its usless to use as well. So I thought I would try Mepis, but then between trying the Windows CD and the burned copy of Mepis, the F1 F2 is the only choice for anything thus bringing forth sequence page/window. After this, the boot page, it boots right into Ubuntu log-on. This is where all the issues are.

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Ubuntu..

I have already tried this several times per your recommendation, nothing is comping up at all in the search..absolutely nothing. I am familiar with Ubuntu not my choice of distro. Maybe because its outdated, but cant update, rather through synaptic or update manager. Issues appear in the window telling me why, to long to list.

Thank you for the demo.

However, most everything else in cluding Internet is available and works fine.

Sherri

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Sherri

The only thing I would like to know is if, somewhere in the bios, there's something which explicitly gives the order of devices that it's trying to boot from. For instance, in the bios on my own desktop, there's actually an option called Boot and Boot Device Priority where I can tell it what drives to check in which order. This is different from the Drives section, which just lists the types of drives I have and isn't editable.

Different BIOS screens are different - so I'm sorry I can't tell you where exactly to look in the options you gave me - it might be somewhere in Post-behaviour. Perhaps you have a link to the motherboard manual? If the computer is only a few years old, it should have such an option.

I only ask to check because you didn't explicitly say you saw the kind of option I'm describing, so I'm just still unsure what order the computer is checking the drives. This information might help people tell whether it's a bios setting that needs changing or something else.

Incidentally, you say the computer got full of viruses - I don't know much about this but I think it is possible for the bios to be corrupted by a really vicious strain.

Yossell

edit: ah - I think I've found the manual at Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op210l/en/index.htm#online_documentation - I'll have a look...

According to the manual, there is something called 'Boot Sequence' that should appear - however, there is a disclaimer saying that the items listed in the relevant section may not appear depending on configuration or computer. Odd.

It also says that, if you want to change the Boot sequence for a current boot then you should press F12 rather than F2 - and from there you can select the device you want to use for the current boot. So, if this is right, I would suggest trying this and then trying to select the CD drive to boot from with whatever disk containing whatever operating system it is you want to install.

ps - the CD is, apart from this, working perfectly?

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Does the MEPIS CD boot on another computer? Obviously we're having problems booting to CD here, so it's either the CD, the CD rom drive, or the BIOS settings.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
It opens up after the Dell logo with the choice of F1 F2 if this is tapped, it will take me to the full blue page sequence window starting from left to right:

I always shutter when I recall the annoyance of working in various proprietary BIOS, where the computer company in their infinite arrogance decided that their BIOS was superior to that of the actual BIOS chip manufacturer.

It invariably resulted in less functionality and spam text and or images for the company. One of the many reasons I always build computers from actual components rather than buy what some other person thinks is a good thing.

Anyway I digress lol.

I have altered a few of these, mainly the drives to see if that was an issue and it still didnt work, so I set them all back to default.

Good procedure.

After this, the boot page, it boots right into Ubuntu log-on. This is where all the issues are.

Perhaps the most challenging aspect of all this, at least from my perspective, is not actually seeing what you see. Such makes things quite a challenge indeed.

There is an option but it is somewhat labor intensive. Take a large screenshot or webcam photo etc of the actual monitor where you are experiencing problems so that one may see what you see.

I only mention this, it is not a request, but as an idea, for it would help an awful lot.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have already tried this several times per your recommendation, nothing is comping up at all in the search..absolutely nothing.

You need to check the settings of synaptic to allow for the inclusion of sources to download from. I am posting from a non Ubuntu machine so I am unable to check.

This may help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/add-applications/C/default-repos.html#default-repos-update

I am familiar with Ubuntu not my choice of distro.

Ubuntu may not be your choice, but it is we fine folks at Ubuntu that are trying to help you, so Ubuntu deserves some appreciation of its value I would think.

This is not a Mepis community.

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ubuntu may not be your choice, but it is we fine folks at Ubuntu that are trying to help you, so Ubuntu deserves some appreciation of its value I would think.

This is not a Mepis community.

Ease up, not all of us are exclusively running Ubuntu. As it is, the OP just can't get the machine to boot a CD. That pretty well makes the choice of distro irrelevant.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Yossell..

Thanks for your research, it enlightened me. I already have hit the F12 key, del key, F all the way to z key at this time. Yes the Cd works perfect in another computer, it boots up fine, straight to Mepis, which looks pretty cool.

I have this Hirens boot disk now, I am going to try this before I set dynamite to the internal drive.

Well thats a bit extreme, it will be salvageable for parts I am sure. Hirens, here I come.

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Woweee, thats a long name, have a short cut on that one LYK, unless that will do..

By the way, thanks for piping in.

Yes the Mepis works fine in different computers.

Sherri

The drawer has been changed out.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hey Ubuntu..

I do indeed like Ubuntu, just would rather a much updated version, and since the machine in question was probably produced in 2003..well..Mepis would be a lighter system to operate on it.

I think I could handle Ubuntu 910 if I could get 610 to update and or co-operate at this point, but I cannot.

I have helped people with Ubuntu when I had it, I have just been on hold with computers and OS systems thats all.

I love the Ubuntu forum period, the people here are incredible and have worked tiredlessly and forever in a day..Extremely commendable. Not lightly taken.

I came back to the community because the of the Ubuntu install thats on it now..trying to figure out whats going on and making an effort to try a linux distro again on that particular machine.

I appreciate your sediments Ubuntu..I do.

Sherri

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
go into the bios (f2) and look under "drives". Tell me what it says there. It should have a list of "Primary Master - Primary Slave - Secondary Master - Secondary Slave". Which one is your hard drive, and which one is the cdrom?

Next, we need to locate the boot order settings -- they're probably under "system", but I haven't seen the bios on that particular model of Dell so I can't say for sure.

You may also be able to bring up a boot device menu when the system starts by hitting "F12" or "F10". Newer dells do this, don't know about your model.

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
@lyk

I'm with you on this (see my last post -the button seems to be F12 if I've got the right manual).

@Sherri - I'm sorry, I'm still unclear from your description whether you've successfully set and saved boot order but it made no difference, whether pressing these buttons made no difference...if you can bear it, a few more details about exactly what happens when you try this would be helpful.

Oh - when I asked about cd I meant the drive, not the disk - I apologise for the lack of clarity. From within your operating system is the cd visible and working? In Bios (you said you accessed this once) did a working CD or DVD drive appear? Perhaps the computer thinks there is no working cd drive, and that it why it is not giving or showing boot options in bios?

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 10:34 PM
@lyk

I'm with you on this (see my last post -the button seems to be F12 if I've got the right manual).

You should be right; I've worked with at least a dozen models of Dell over the last four years, and apart from some very old models F12 brinks up the boot device menu.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Ease up, not all of us are exclusively running Ubuntu. As it is, the OP just can't get the machine to boot a CD. That pretty well makes the choice of distro irrelevant.

Nothing to ease up about. Also reread the posts.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ok by golly, this is freaky..now why didnt this work before, ok..

This is what I am seeing after F12..I am not moving until I hear from you guys..NOT MOVING>>>sorry, the girl is desparate.

the line up:

Boot Device Menu
On board Sata Hard Drive..< this is hightlighted.
On board USB CD-Rom Drive
System Setup
Hard drive diagnostics
Boot to Utility Partition

then the instructions to continue.

I am a bit overwhelmed as I have hit F12 already on many accounts, now I am afraid to mess with this in case I lose it again.

I am at your mercy mad yet merciful tecks..what next?

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Yossell, I am just grateful all of you are giving your time and efforts. If there are mistakes they will be mine..I am good at making them, to my misfortune.

I remember having this boot menu, not boot sequence, blue window, boot menu is not black, along with the other black window before that rediculous dark blue sequence shows. I did utilize this info I am now seeing one time, I remember doing system set-up and ended up in that dark blue sequence page again. So for the moment..I lay still and await commands.

Thanks everyone..

Sherri

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Put in whatever liveCD you'd like, arrow down to "onboard USB CDRom drive", hit enter and see if it boots the CD.

It's a little odd that it says "USB CDrom drive", but we'll investigate that more if it doesn't boot to the CD.

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
The fact that On Board Sata Drive is highlighted means (I think) that it is set up to boot from hard disk first, by-passing cd-drive - this would explain why it didn't care what was in the cd-drive.

If I were there, I would try and select or highlight the CD-Rom drive choice, and reboot with your Mepis cd in the drive and see if that starts up.

Two notes of caution:
(1) I've not seen as one option "on board USB CD-Drive Rom" - USB suggests something different to me...

(2) It may be enough to choose this option by just moving the arrow keys and pressing enter - but on some bios you'll get asked 'save settings and exit?' - make sure you tell it yes, otherwise it'll just reboot in the old way.

Shame I can't be there and see exactly what's on the screen...might be best to wait also to see what the others say too - a second opinion never hurts.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Your BIOS boot order is as you have related:

"Boot Device Menu
On board Sata Hard Drive..< this is hightlighted.
System Setup
Hard drive diagnostics
Boot to Utility Partition"

Try this:

"Boot Device Menu
On board Sata Hard Drive
System Setup
Hard drive diagnostics
Boot to Utility Partition"

That will instruct the BIOS to check the CD drive upon starting the computer. If nothing is found, it will then inpect your Sata Hard Drive.

Change the setting, save the BIOS, reboot and make sure you have your Mepis CD in the drive.

See if that works.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hey..LKY..

Did request..it beeped twice and nothing, started with Mepis disk, then Hirens, for kicks, XP,, its laughing at me..I can hear it now..

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
It's a little odd that it says "USB CDrom drive", but we'll investigate that more if it doesn't boot to the CD.

Just a combined search at start for a USB and CD device. They should really separate the two.

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey..LKY..

Did request..it beeped twice and nothing, started with Mepis disk, then Hirens, for kicks, XP,, its laughing at me..I can hear it now..

Sherri
Can you check this:

go into the bios (f2) and look under "drives". Tell me what it says there. It should have a list of "Primary Master - Primary Slave - Secondary Master - Secondary Slave". Which one is your hard drive, and which one is the cdrom?

I'm wondering if the CD drive is being detected.

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hold on fellas, something is happening..I changed the boot order as requested by Ubuntu, this is freaking me out..

I see it...Mepis..it is there..

be back

I am back, I did not make a choice but it doing the configurations to Mepis..if this works then this may be the reason why this shady drawer did not work properly the first time, then I changed the drawer, same place same hook-ups..same results, and now..WOW ITS MEPIS..HOLD ON..HEHE I AM EXCITED.

lykwydchykyn
December 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Good to hear :D

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Well what do you know..Mepis is on board..wow, all this blood sweat and tears, I bet the accountant I purchased this computer from was going nuts over the same thing.

Here it was the boot order, I dont understand that, not sure why that would indeed matter..that is to say..if it was never changed in the first place and always worked before. Well I just arranged it as requested by Ubuntu and it worked, I left the others the same in sequence order since I have no floppy and the second drive I am not using. Well now its about testing Mepis..KEWWEELL..NO REALLY KEWWEELL..

I think this is a go gentlemen, if all present are men..this worked, so now the girl will put this in her notes so when she has a senior moment..this will prove to be the fix..

Wow..this means alot, thank you all for your time and patience in here. I know things can get frustrating when we are all trying to kill the devil in our computers per say..either way..fix or no fix, thank you very much, just your links to the different pages per individual in here with your profiles can help so many people out alone.

Thank you all.

Sherri, smiling BIG-TIME!

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Great! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

edit: oh yes, next time you turn it back on either change the boot order back, or make sure there are no bootable cds in the drive, or else it will try to load from there. Just in case you accidentally put your xp disk in there, we don't want you losing your Mepis!

delilahjed44
December 4th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Ok now come again? is this a must? I have Mepis totally functional, its great..I am digging this.

So..your saying go ahead and change it back to the original order? I was thinking to test drive something, but not sure what yet.. so this is a must yes? change it back?

Sherri

Ok, I got this..I just have to do a full install of mepis..I have both presently, Ubuntu 610 and now can access Mepis..yehaaaaa!!!

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
thank you all

In front of the actual computer, likely a five minute job, ten if you add a cup of coffee.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ok now come again? is this a must? I have Mepis totally functional, its great..I am digging this.

So..your saying go ahead and change it back to the original order? I was thinking to test drive something, but not sure what yet.. so this is a must yes? change it back?

Sherri

I suspect he was making a joke. Oh well. Have a nice day! ;)

yossell
December 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
No, I wasn't making a joke - it just depends what you want to do.

If the order has been changed permanently, it will now try to boot first from the cd-drive. If you've installed Mepis, and set it up how you like it, you wouldn't want to start the installation procedure again - which is what would happen if you left that disk there. Similarly, leave a windows disk in there, and they can be very quick to install themselves, and I just wanted to alert you to the danger of that.

But as long as you understand what boot order does and as long as you're careful about what you leave in the cd drive, you'll be fine.

best

yossell

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM
No, I wasn't making a joke

When you cited the example of what may happen, a XP CD left in the CD drive, now THAT I found funny! Made it sound like some sort of a virus or malware, perhaps even a trojan, that would then somehow infect the computer with an installation of itself! Maybe one day, maybe one day lol!

Microsoft did do something similar with .Net and Firefox not long ago. An unauthorised install.

I think now that the computer works, don't fix what isn't broken.

NB

New topics deserve new threads.

yossell
December 5th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ubuntu - What do you mean? If the boot order has been changed so that it boots from the cd rather than from the hard drive, and if a bootable cd is left in the drive, then it will start to boot from the cd rather than the hard drive next time the computer is turned on.

anticapitalista
December 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I've been reading this thread and just want to thank those posters who helped delilahjed44 get to what she wanted to do even though she wanted to test out a non-Ubuntu distro (ie my antiX).
You deserve credit for your patience.

To delilahjed44, if you want to stick with MEPIS-antiX, then I suggest popping over to the MEPIS and/or antiX forum if you need any further assistance. We are a helpful bunch, just like these guys (and gals?) that helped you here.

Have fun.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Ubuntu - What do you mean? If the boot order has been changed so that it boots from the cd rather than from the hard drive, and if a bootable cd is left in the drive, then it will start to boot from the cd rather than the hard drive next time the computer is turned on.

Don't leave a bootable CD in the CD drive at boot, problem solved.

delilahjed44
December 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Hey Anti, that is the plan..I want to play and stay in Linux distros while I can, I have to make use of these older computers..no sense in leaving them sit around.

Besides, I really dont like Vista at all, XP..thats one thing, but Mepis, now that looks fun.

Sherri

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I've been reading this thread and just want to thank those posters who helped delilahjed44 get to what she wanted to do even though she wanted to test out a non-Ubuntu distro (ie my antiX).
You deserve credit for your patience.

To delilahjed44, if you want to stick with MEPIS-antiX, then I suggest popping over to the MEPIS and/or antiX forum if you need any further assistance. We are a helpful bunch, just like these guys (and gals?) that helped you here.

Have fun.

Thank you too for offering more precise assistance with Mepis, which would naturally be found at your forum.

Do you have a url?

delilahjed44
December 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ubuntu..that is what I am going to do..beings it will work for other options with disk, if it seems indifferent I will change them again.

Thank you
Sherri

delilahjed44
December 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Do you have a Url Anti?

Thanks
Sherri

anticapitalista
December 5th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thank you too for offering more precise assistance with Mepis, which would naturally be found at your forum.

Do you have a url?

Yes, for antiX forum

http://antix.freeforums.org/

and Mepislovers

http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/index.php

BTW Sherri, we (antiX) are a tiny outfit compared to Ubuntu, but we do what we can.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I really dont like Vista at all, XP..thats one thing

If you get a chance you may wish to check out Windows 7, as it really best represents the Microsoft offering at this time.

Vista is flawed and XP is dated.

delilahjed44
December 5th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hey this is great..thank you so much..and the journey begins..

Sherri

delilahjed44
December 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I have checked into this, I have this Vista, not sure about 7 yet, still researching...

Thank you
Sherri

yossell
December 5th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Don't leave a bootable CD in the CD drive at boot, problem solved.

yes, exactly - which was why this was one of the disjuncts in my advice to Sherri. Either change boot order, or this.

Glad you agree.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 03:05 AM
yes, exactly - which was why this was one of the disjuncts in my advice to Sherri. Either change boot order, or this.

Glad you agree.

Sherri is well on her way to becoming a computer tech, so yeah, leave the CD/DVD device as the first option in the BIOS boot order.