PDA

View Full Version : Why not a Live DVD option?

Ms_Angel_D
December 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
Why is there no Live DVD option for Ubuntu I wonder? I mean pretty much every computer can use DVD's and yes I understand the DVD sizes are a bit larger, but it would nice to have the option.

we could have Ubuntu Live Light and Ubuntu Live Full disks. Of course the DVD could contain more software be default. I don't know just a thought....

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Good thing you said option: I do not wish to lose the ability to buy inexpensive CD-RWs.

ElSlunko
December 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
DVDs also cost more!

FuturePilot
December 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/release/

dragos240
December 1st, 2009, 10:25 PM
Yay! DVD edition!

t0p
December 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
A DVD image would be one heck of a big download. What's the capacity of a DVD anyway?

EDIT: ~4.7 GB (single-sided single-layer), ~8.54 GB (single-sided double-layer) according to nationmaster.com (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/DVD).

dragos240
December 1st, 2009, 10:27 PM
A DVD image would be one heck of a big download. What's the capacity of a DVD anyway?

Isn't it about 2.2gb?

EDIT: It's 4.7

murderslastcrow
December 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
I don't want to be a damper on this conversation, but even here in America about 2/3 of people I know have DVD drives, and out of those only 1/2 of them can WRITE DVDs.

So it might be a cool idea for more software and settings, but it's also impractical for most people. So yes, it would have to be optional, and I don't think you meant to replace the CD with a DVD.

It would be sad if they made the CD version any less functional, though, that's mostly what I'm worried about. And I think that, as long as people are concerned with efficient code and improving compression techniques, we won't have to move up from a CD any time soon.

The idea of scrapping GIMP implies that we might be tipping over than edge soon, though.

lisati
December 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
And what about those of us who only have CD-ROM drives in some of our gear? We could plug in an external DVD drive via USB but installing the necessary hardware into older machines isn't everyone's cup of tea.

juancarlospaco
December 1st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Because we are waiting for Live Blu-Ray option...

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Because we are waiting for Live Blu-Ray option...

Lol, when what, like 3 laptops carry blu-ray?

25 GB disks? Whoa.

Skripka
December 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Why is there no Live DVD option for Ubuntu I wonder? I mean pretty much every computer can use DVD's and yes I understand the DVD sizes are a bit larger, but it would nice to have the option.

we could have Ubuntu Live Light and Ubuntu Live Full disks. Of course the DVD could contain more software be default. I don't know just a thought....

What is the point?

A DVD image would just include LOTS and LOTS of obsolete software...that you'd need to update and download new packages for anyway.

Paqman
December 1st, 2009, 11:59 PM
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/release/

Zackly. There is a LiveDVD, Ubuntu just doesn't put it on the download page. The only real advantage of it is if you want to have a machine offline that still has access to the Universe repo.

gn2
December 2nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Why is there no Live DVD option for Ubuntu I wonder?

Because there is simply no need for it.

If you want a Live DVD you can very easily create your own with Remastersys (http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/remastersystool.html).

Ms_Angel_D
December 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
Calm down guys, I don't wanna get rid of the live cd...:lolflag: I was just kinda wondering why there wasn't an option for one, that's all.

sgosnell
December 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I assume you saw that there is a live DVD option. It's been there for some time, I'm not sure how long because it was there when I first started looking for Ubuntu. It's not featured, but it's there.

dragos240
December 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
You know. I wonder if blu-rays can boot. Do they have the capability to do that?

lisati
December 2nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
25 GB disks? Whoa.

+1 for the "whoa" - my old desktop has a 3GB hard drive and can only handle CD-ROMs. And that's after upgrading and/or replacing some of the hardware. (It came with a 1GB hard drive)

dragos240
December 2nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
+1 for the "whoa" - my old desktop has a 3GB hard drive and can only handle CD-ROMs. And that's after upgrading and/or replacing some of the hardware. (It came with a 1GB hard drive)

What did it have on there!?

-grubby
December 2nd, 2009, 01:55 AM
You know. I wonder if blu-rays can boot. Do they have the capability to do that?

There's a 99.999999999999% chance they do.

Ms_Angel_D
December 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
I assume you saw that there is a live DVD option. It's been there for some time, I'm not sure how long because it was there when I first started looking for Ubuntu. It's not featured, but it's there.

No I wasn't aware of this hence the thread... ;)

xtaaxtw
December 2nd, 2009, 06:57 AM
For me right now, DVD is a little expensive, but I think it is a bit out of date it.;)
------------------------------------------------------------
http://world-culture-research.org/c.asp?d=15284

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
yes i agree with OPs thought because since one of the purpose of ubuntu is to provide free OS for all humans, people in developing countries who dont have a good internet at home have to spend much more on ubuntu for updates and new app downloads than what they would spend for a working pirated MS OS (AFAIK majority in developing nations use pirated softwares). so it would be a good option to provide a full dvd solution and making the ppl less independant on the internet for new apps. and of course dvds are less costly here than cds.

emigrant
December 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
No I wasn't aware of this hence the thread... ;)
it contains only additional language packs not extra apps.