PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't rip music cd

jaime256
December 1st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Well, I got a music cd that I want to make files out of and this is the error I get when I try to rip it. I'm on Ubuntu 9.04. I have not change any rights on anything myself so I don't know why the system is telling me this. I should note that I just installed the program. I've used it in the past but I don't remember having this problem before.

sgosnell
December 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
What is the output directory? If it's not in your /home hierarchy, you'll have to run the ripping program as root, not really a good idea. Better to redirect to somewhere in you /home directory. If it can't create the target directory there, you may have to make it yourself beforehand.

jaime256
December 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
The program points to the /home/music directory, but I also created a directory in there and on my desktop, both give me the same error still. I did figure it was a rights error, but I think that got changed with the updates since all I have done is install the program. It was working on previous versions as well.

dream_coder
December 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Just change the Permissions of the Program for you (the user) either use a terminal and use the 'chown' command for more info type chown --help or chown --man but it normally goes 'sudo chown username path/to/file/filename'

Or

in a terminal type sudo nautilus find the program right click it then change the owner etc and or just add you to the permissions.

jaime256
December 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I just open a terminal and typed, sudo sound-juicer to run the program and that let me do what I needed without having to change any rights. Yeah it sucks but at least now I got it working.
I forgot to mention that you have to find out what your program is called first. On the terminal windows you can just type: locate name of your program, you can get this from when you open it, it will tell you the name at the top. Once you know it, just add the sudo in front of it to run it. Keep in mind that it will put your files in the root folder though.

Just change the Permissions of the Program for you (the user) either use a terminal and use the 'chown' command for more info type chown --help or chown --man but it normally goes 'sudo chown username path/to/file/filename'

Or

in a terminal type sudo nautilus find the program right click it then change the owner etc and or just add you to the permissions.

oldos2er
December 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Check System, Administration, Users & Groups, to see if your user settings include 'Use CD-ROM drives'.

jaime256
December 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
Well, you hit right on the first thing I looked at. It's not checked so I checked it, logged out, and it did not work. So I rebooted, and still did not work. So you're right, it's not checked by default now, but it still doesn't work even if you do check it. So that's why I ran it the way I did. I get the same problem on my clean laptop install too. Thank you guys, now I need to get back to my school work. Got all this stuff working so I feel much better. :)

Check System, Administration, Users & Groups, to see if your user settings include 'Use CD-ROM drives'.