PDA

View Full Version : How do I lock my PC?

daniel014
December 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hello. Hope this isn't in the wrong place on the forums.

I recently had my school computer email used to send a very offensive email around the school under my name.

Unfortunately, because the old Windows XP Pro computers are so locked down, I cannot lock the computer whilst not at my desk.

Does anyone know of a hack or USB drive app that would solve this problem and lock my computer?

Thanks for any help. =]

Cam42
December 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM

I recently had my school computer email used to send a very offensive email around the school under my name.

Unfortunately, because the old Windows XP Pro computers are so locked down, I cannot lock the computer whilst not at my desk.

Does anyone know of a hack or USB drive app that would solve this problem and lock my computer?

Thanks for any help. =]
If your system is password protected, you can hit super+l

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
If your system is password protected, you can hit super+l

What's the command to lock screen so I can assign a keyboard shortcut to SUPER+L for that?

xfce4 metapackage doesn't install SUPER+L Shortcut for that (Nor Run Command.)

RiceMonster
December 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
What's the command to lock screen so I can assign a keyboard shortcut to SUPER+L for that?

xfce4 metapackage doesn't install SUPER+L Shortcut for that (Nor Run Command.)

For Xfce it's xflock4, but you need to have xscreensaver installed, then assign it to that shortcut.

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
For Xfce it's xflock4, but you need to have xscreensaver installed, then assign it to that shortcut.

Here:

/usr/bin/xflock4: 28: xlock: not found
~$ sudo apt-get install xflock4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package xflock4

Also, xlock is referred by another package or depreciated. So what now? xscreensaver is installed.

earthpigg
December 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM

yes.

save this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_assurance) to a thumb drive.

throw it at the head of the local sysadmin. hard.

squilookle
December 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks for any help. =]

Hi Daniel014, from the replies, I have a feeling I missed something, but if the computer is running Windows XP Pro (not Linux), can you tell us what happens if you press Control, Alt, and delete - unless the computer is REALLY locked down, it should bring up a window with six options, the first being "lock computer"