PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GIMP resources

Regenweald
December 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, I'm going to try to design my own business card, can any of the amateur or professional graphic designers in the forum point me in the direction of some good resources ?

Looking for good fonts, templates and patters/artwork. Any help would be appreciated.

joey-elijah
December 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Deviant Art will be your friend here!

http://browse.deviantart.com/#catpath=resources/applications&order=9

tjwoosta
December 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hey, I'm going to try to design my own business card, can any of the amateur or professional graphic designers in the forum point me in the direction of some good resources ?

Looking for good fonts, templates and patters/artwork. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you planning to make a design and have it professionally done, or are you going to make your own with a printer and business card sheets? For the home printed business card sheets I use glabels. Its designed for this type of thing. You just choose your brand of cards from the menu and it makes the template for you, then you just put whatever images or text you want on it and click print. Be warned though that some printers don't work very well with those sheets and they sometimes get stuck.

Regenweald
December 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Deviant Art will be your friend here!

http://browse.deviantart.com/#catpath=resources/applications&order=9

Are you planning to make a design and have it professionally done, or are you going to make your own with a printer and business card sheets? For the home printed business card sheets I use glabels. Its designed for this type of thing. You just choose your brand of cards from the menu and it makes the template for you, then you just put whatever images or text you want on it and click print. Be warned though that some printers don't work very well with those sheets and they sometimes get stuck.

Thank you :D @tjwoosta, I was thinking of creating the card myself then have it printed. Based on how i do with the design, I'll see how it goes.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
I'm assuming you already have a logo?

If not, I can't over-emphasize how important it is to make it a vector image. This will make things much easier in the long run, if you decide to redesign your card, make advertisements, print t-shirts, mailers, stationary, make websites, etc. If you know your way around Adobe products the thirty day trial of Illustrator should be more than enough to design a good logo. I've heard inkscape is good but I've never used it. I really like the adobe suite, sans photoshop (I prefer gimp).

Also dafont.com is a great place to find fonts. A lot of them are free for commercial use.