PDA

View Full Version : Opera 10 is a nice browser

kapi
December 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to share my thoughts and say how nice and effective opera 10 is. It installs via a .deb file and runs like a dream. The widgets are fantastic and I now use opera along side firefox.

For development firefox still streaks ahead by miles but the interface in opera leaves firefox standing at the start line wondering who was that.

Firefox for development
Opera for browsing

just a thought . . .

Oh, this isn't a flame it's purely observation so don't start wining that I'm bashing firefox. I'm simply sharing my thoughts.

it's good for the browser developers to be pushed - it only means we get better browsers at the end of the day.

clive littlewood
December 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hi

A big +1 for Opera 10

It Rocks :D

Clive

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah Opera has come a long way. I prefer to use Firefox as I have been using it for years and I have it nicely customised. I use Opera occasionally for testing.

lutsy
December 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Yep, I agree with all of you, a big + for Opera.
Too bad that there is quite a small number of people that use Opera as their default browser.
Even CoolIris (or a lot of other plugins) isn't available for it because of this matter.
Way to go Opera! At least for now, Opera mini 5 has more loyal users than the Desktop Edition...

howefield
December 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Just wanted to share my thoughts and say how nice and effective opera 10 is. It installs via a .deb file and runs like a dream. The widgets are fantastic and I now use opera along side firefox.

Have to agree, and have gone from using Firefox 90% of the time, to almost solely using Opera. The built in synchronisation feature and mail client win me over. And it looks very much better.

They really did a good job with 10.10

They need to tell people about it though, instead of getting MS to do it for them ;)

X1R1
December 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
+1

Amazing browser!!! I completely switch to Opera from firefox because of the new Unite thing, in which you can instantly share stuff with friends and even use your browser as a proxy or web server, pretty amazing if you ask me.

But I gotta say, it has a few kinks for me, some random problems with java, its weird cause this doesnt happen in firefox, but that aside, best browser ever.

3rdalbum
December 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I switched to Opera because of Opera Turbo and Opera Unite... and now I'm "locked-in" because of Opera Link :-)

Funnily enough, I don't use Opera Turbo (I now have fast Internet) and every time I try to use Opera Unite on my server, something goes wrong. I'm serious about this - I installed Opera on the server through VNC, and then Vino crashed. I finally got the time to hook up a monitor and reboot the server yesterday (and run Opera Unite) and then this morning there was a powercut.

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM
Another avid fan here. The mail client and rss reader do it for me.
Best dark skin in my opinion IBIS inspire (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8899) Don't like the red tabs? ...change your color scheme to indigo.
Miss opera's mouse gestures when using nautilus?... install easystroke (http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/easystroke/)

kapi
December 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Actually I have just found out about Dragonfly - the advanced set of developer tools that come with the browser. No plugins required.

I'll be evaluating it over the next week, but so far the first impressions are WOW!

halovivek
December 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
+1 Yes,..it is doing great :)

iKonaK
December 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Opera 10 is a nice proprietary browser :|

Grenage
December 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Opera is wonderful if you want a 'full feature' browser; if I want something a bit leaner, I will use firefox. Due to most of my browsing being very basic (display text and pictures), I haven't used opera in a while.

cascade9
December 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yep, I agree with all of you, a big + for Opera.
Too bad that there is quite a small number of people that use Opera as their default browser.

I still use firefox as defualt, but I always have opera installed. If only so I can help out some of the people I've told to use opera (that intergrated torrent client isnt my thing, but for people who don't use torrents much but need them at times, operas is good).

If opera wasnt proprietary (as iKonaK pointed out) I would be temped to make it my default browser.

overdrank
December 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

meho_r
December 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
I switched from Firefox some time ago and use Opera for almost everything (well, there is still problems with yahoo mail, new.myfonts.com font preview and couple of other sites I visit very often, but for everything else, Opera is here).

judith_sw
December 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Given I have LOADS of work to get on with, this thread has given me the perfect opportunity to delay things ;-)

I've just installed Opera on my HP2133 alongside Firefox (which I've been using for a long time now). It's only early days, but it seems really fast and user-friendly. I may be using it more and more in future.

What are the advantages of using Opera for (not terribly demanding) day-to-day use? I can see speed is useful, especially for less powerful notebooks. I am interested in any comments on this in addition the ones already mentioned.

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Apparently, Opera 10.10 works with ReactOS:

http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS/.message/27d76e2

gradinaruvasile
December 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
I used Opera from 10 beta (or alpha?) onwards. Tested qt3 and qt4 builds.

The qt4 builds look much better - cleaner menus and all in all smoother look. But the default install is the qt3 build if using the Opera repository. Qt4 builds here:

http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1010/final/en/i386/

Pros:
- built-in adblocker that is very effective/easy to use
- i just like the font rendering (it looks better than other browsers)
- fast page rendering/scrolling
- has built in mail client
- has opera unite (never used it, but it has a truckload of features that simplify things) - although i am wary that this could be a security vulnerability.
- it runs quite fast, faster than firefox as i observed.
- it has a reporting tool that permits reporting of pages that dont work properly. i used it once and a few days later (next release i think) the page was working.
- it has a clean, polished, professional-looking interface (for me its the perfect mix between functionality/usability)

Cons:

- no pgp encryption support for mail
- qt interface - and the qt4 version doesnt know to use the "widget stealing" stuff the newer qt4 apps have. It just doesnt blend in. But i found the default interface is quite fast and looks nice.

Bugging bugs:

- has a memory eating bug - it just grows in memory, it seems it doesnt have an effective memory cleaning routine. Annoying, but not dealbreaker - just i have to restart opera every now and then.

- has a mailer client bug that started to to manifest by hogging cpu/using hdd continuosly when i imported my mail from seamonkey. This is AFTER finished indexing the mail. And it starts every time i open Opera. So, no mail for me until this is sorted out.

All in all i like it. Very much. The built in adblocker kicks butt. And starts faster than firefox and is more responsive.

It has the above mentioned bugs to be ironed out to be a viable replacement for firefox (and im my case Seamonkey). But thats based on my experience only, it seems many dont have these problems - for them its already a good deal.

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
For anyone who's interested I've attached a javascript file I use for blocking flash in opera.
It works the same as flashblock for firefox.
Uncompress and place the user.js file in a folder in your home directory called user_javascripts .
Then in opera go to tools > preferences > advanced > content
and click on javascript options
and link to your user_javascripts folder in the bottom box.

If it's not working, in the address bar goto opera:config
Then in the quickfind box type javascript and compare your settings to mine.
Remember to click on save if you change anything.

madnessjack
December 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Opera is smooth and stuff but for me, the interface is ugly. Well not ugly, but it doesn't match my plain XP theme and looks really out of place. My biggest issue with it is the amount of crap it comes with. Too much!

Just not my cup of tea :P

judith_sw
December 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Am trying to download the file but am unable to open it "because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences." I don't know how to do this :-(

Can you advise?

Thanks!

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Am trying to download the file but am unable to open it "because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences." I don't know how to do this :-(

Can you advise?

Thanks!

sudo apt-get install debhelper

sudo apt-get install gdebi

That's for opening a DEB File.

For opening RPMs: http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/09/23/installing-using-an-rpm-file/

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hi,

Can you advise?

Thanks!
What file are you trying to open ?
If it's a file your trying to download in opera, right click on the file and choose "save linked content as"
or in firefox "save link as".
Edit:Ok, just tried in firefox, all you need to do when the dialogue window comes up is change it from "open with" to "save file"

judith_sw
December 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hi again,

Thanks - I've downloaded and extracted the file Flashblock.user.js to Desktop. Unfortuantely I can't now find the user_javascripts folder in the user file ... I've found a folder called java in the share folder, but desktop won't let me move the file though!

Sorry! I'm a bit new to all of this!

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Go to places > Home folder
right click on an empty space and choose create folder
and name it user_javascripts
Copy FlashBlock.user.js file into that folder.

It doesnt really matter Where you put it because you just link to where ever it is in opera.
It's just better to keep things organized though
You should stay in your home folder and it's sub directories because you have read and write permissions.
There is no real need to go into the directories above home unless your trouble shooting or someone is guiding you to do something.Most of these directories you need to be logged in as root to write to any way.If you don't know what your doing you can mess up your system.
It seems complicated at first but after a while it becomes easier to understand and actually makes sense.
You may want to have a look this Linux Directory Structure (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/5022-linux-directory-structure-overview.html)

judith_sw
December 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks. Maybe because I'm using 9.04, I don't have Places > Home Folder. However, I do have Places > File System > Home > Judith. I've put it in there!. Hope that's OK!!!

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks. Maybe because I'm using 9.04, I don't have Places > Home Folder. However, I do have Places > File System > Home > Judith. I've put it in there!. Hope that's OK!!!
That's the one=D>:biggrin:....and now for the big question...
Does the flashblock work?

judith_sw
December 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I believe it does! I've tried it on Firefix and Opera, and both times I get a little "f" on the screen ... I have to opt into seeing the Flash content (I tried it on YouTube), so yes, I think it works!

Thanks for your help!!!

stinkeye
December 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
No problem. A few more weeks and you'll be the one giving out the advice.
Good luck.

A_T
December 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
Love Opera 10.10. Even looks good in Gnome if you use the right theme and change the fonts.

minosi
December 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
For anyone who's interested I've attached a javascript file I use for blocking flash in opera.
Uncompress and place the user.js file in a folder in your home directory called user_javascripts .

Why use User Javascript for this ?

Since Opera 7 (~2005), there is a built in plugin control (that takes care of Flash AND any other crap):

[F12] -> Enable/Disable plugins (this includes Flash & other crap except JAVA)
and for custom per-website configuration:
[Right Click] -> Edit site preferences -> Plugins Tab
:)

stinkeye
December 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Why use User Javascript for this ?

Since Opera 7 (~2005), there is a built in plugin control (that takes care of Flash AND any other crap):

[F12] -> Enable/Disable plugins (this includes Flash & other crap except JAVA)
and for custom per-website configuration:
[Right Click] -> Edit site preferences -> Plugins Tab
:)
Because its alot easier to use this to block flash and then use one click to view it rather than having to re-enable plugins and then reload the entire page to see the flash content.Why do you think people use it.Makes youtube a lot easier to browse when you don't have unwanted flash downloading as soon as you open the page.
The same reason it's used in firefox.
I've been using opera since 2002,(started on windows) so I'm fully aware of what opera can and cannot do.

WeAreTheSiNs
January 9th, 2010, 03:03 AM

Thanks, ive been looking for something like this \\:D/

semitone36
January 9th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I like opera too. If i ever feel like exploring a new OS it always ports over bookmarks for me :) (try writing down 30+ bookmarks and then re-booking them every time... yeah)

Here is one thing though that i find annoying about Opera, whenever I view a picture that is of a higher res than my screen, Opera will load it at its original size and i have to manually zoom out to see it. Firefox would automatically generate a thumbnail of the picture for me. It was nice when browsing for new wallpapers.