PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Custom boot settings, desktop, and maybe a program?

parkerbender
December 1st, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am in charge of coming up with a digital gauge cluster for a senior engineering project we're working on. I decided that it would be easiest to do with a computer and some analog or digital I/O, probably usb. I have a couple of problems, first, are there any existing programs that would show inputs as gauges, or would I need to write that program? If the latter is the case, where would you suggest beginning to learn linux programing? (I'm willing to learn, I just need to get it figured out by about febuary) Lastly, is there a way to embed the gauge graphics into the desktop? The goal is to have the system boot into a screen with the gauges visible, and a few other programs open into a minimized state to be toggled via touchscreen. We were considering using crunchbang as our distro, unless ubuntu can be configured to boot just as fast.

If anyone has any ideas how this might be cobbled together, or just an idea of where to start learning, i'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Parker

parkerbender
December 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Any ideas from anybody? mods, is this in the wrong place?

Thanks!

-Parker