PDA

View Full Version : “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Great quote from a great man. :p

Prost!

Psumi
December 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
*facepalm*

And if I do not believe in your--

/thread

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 05:30 AM
*facepalm*

And if I do not believe in your--

/threadThat's Okay beer isn't looking for converts :p

...and Benjamin Franklin has passed away.

Prost!

amazingtaters
December 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Indeed a great quote. Especially when referencing something like Full Moon or Budweiser American Ale.

hoppipolla
December 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM
haha wicked quote!

Although I can think of at least one more example of this logic! ^_^

steveneddy
December 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM
Anything from Dogfish Head (http://www.dogfish.com/)

Frak
December 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

-Dave Barry

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Indeed a great quote. Especially when referencing something like Full Moon or Budweiser American Ale.

...Hoegaarden!

Prost!

drawkcab
December 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
I think this quote is apocryphal.

lisati
December 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM

Wot, me worry?

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM

Interestingly enough you may be right, after a little further research I found this:

For the record, here, in a letter addressed to André Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.) http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/09/15/misquote-ben-franklin-on-beer.htm

...yet it still a great quote, even if it is a mis-quote. :p

Of course, after a few beers ole Ben Franklin may have toyed with this saying of his, but there is a lack of written evidence, but who really writes after a few beers?

JBAlaska
December 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM
And Vodka is proof that Russians know how to party..LOL

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM
And Vodka is proof that Russians know how to party..LOLDid the Russians really invent Vodka?

The origins of vodka cannot be traced definitively, but it is believed to have originated in the grain-growing region that now embraces Poland, western Russia, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine. It also has a long tradition in Scandinavia.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

sisco311
December 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
but who really writes after a few beers?

no one, except writers.

Truman Capote, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen Crane, Theodore Roethke, Herman Melville, Delmore Schwartz, Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemmingway...

Metallion
December 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Vodka is nice. Especially Lithuanian Vodka but nothing will ever beat a good Trappist. 8-)

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
no one, except writers.

Truman Capote, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen Crane, Theodore Roethke, Herman Melville, Delmore Schwartz, Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemmingway...
Good point!

sisco311
December 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Good point!

oh, I have to add to the list one of my favorites: James Joyce;

and one of the greatest thinkers of all time: Homer Simpson.

handy
December 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Begs the question:

Just how do the hangover, proof & God components fit together?

JBAlaska
December 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
Vodka is nice. Especially Lithuanian Vodka but nothing will ever beat a good Trappist. 8-)

Oh yes, Starka! the best imho

As for beer, Guinness! It's not a beer it's a major food group

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Begs the question:

Just how do the hangover, proof & God components fit together?I think he may have been referring to the great beer god? ...if it was a quote from Thomas Jefferson this would be a much different discussion,...perhaps?

tjwoosta
December 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Great quote from a great man. :p

Prost!

Except beer is man made ;)

I can however think of a few gifts that a god might have laid out, unfortunately man outlawed those.

Its ok, Id much rather have the legal cures for my hyperactivity which may cause coughing up blood, emotionless states, severe depression, dehydration, thoughts of suicide, coma, or death :) This will fix me up in a jiff. ;)

Elfy
December 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
closed at OP request