PDA

View Full Version : Are there different X-windows?

ubuntumaneh
February 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Is someone aware of any development of display server other than X-windows for linux? Could point some links?

One can choose distros, window managers, browsers, editors and other things, which is one of the best features about open sources. Now, I would like to broaden my options to display server. Using a Y-window or Z-window instead of X-window.

Now, for what Ive read, display server is where things get really complicated. It needs large groups of people to work upon it. So I understand there are few alternatives, if there is any. It would be nice to know how this goes.

Im already googling it. Just to have more options.

Stormy Eyes
February 21st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Is someone aware of any development of display server other than X-windows for linux? Could point some links?

There are commercial X servers, and other display subsystems like DirectFB, Fresco, Y-windows, etc. Stick with X.org unless you have a good reason not to.

mostwanted
February 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Well, there is in fact a Y-windows:
http://www.y-windows.org/

That's the only one I know of, apart from Quartz (I think it's called?) in Mac OS X.

BWF89
February 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Windowing_systems

ubuntumaneh
February 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
There are commercial X servers, and other display subsystems like DirectFB, Fresco, Y-windows, etc. Stick with X.org unless you have a good reason not to.

Why not? Just for the sake of test in a spare computer. Boldly going where I haven't been before.

Stormy Eyes
February 21st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Why not? Just for the sake of test in a spare computer. Boldly going where I haven't been before.

If you're tinkering with a spare machine, then have fun. I had assumed that you only had one machine. I try to be careful when advising others.

ubuntumaneh
February 21st, 2006, 10:18 PM
If you're tinkering with a spare machine, then have fun. I had assumed that you only had one machine. I try to be careful when advising others.

You are right, indeed. Thanks.

Anyway, there seems to be not many good options out there. I will see this Y-windows and one called rio, but both seems to be incomplete.

mstlyevil
February 21st, 2006, 11:41 PM
Isn't XEGL supposed to be a new type of X-Server or is it just another layer to put on top of X?

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
Isn't XEGL supposed to be a new type of X-Server or is it just another layer to put on top of X?

It is a complete new Xserver, but its only about 60% done and its been that way since last August.

Even though I read Mandiva is wanting to use it instead of XGL, so they might finish it.

briancurtin
February 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Is someone aware of any development of display server other than X-windows for linux?
sorry to be picky, but it technically is not called "X windows," its "the X window system"

dolson
February 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
sorry to be picky, but it technically is not called "X windows," its "the X window system"
Apology accepted.

briancurtin
February 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
i used to do it and people corrected me, so i just thought i would point it out. its a learning experience :)