PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] will i still get audiophile sound quality sound if i use linux?

expxe
November 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
if i have a audiophile grade sound card and i use linux (ubuntu) and install generic linux sound card drivers for it will it sound as good as a windows system with the original windows drivers? or is linux (ubuntu) just inferior?

ratcheer
November 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
That is a very good question. I hope someone has the (correct) answer.

Tim

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
February 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
OP was a while back, but some people will come to this page through a search service like I did so maybe it is worth adding my little bit and the resulting bump might lure some more comments because I basically was seeking the same information from ixquick when I got here.

You are not limited to generic drivers. Many sound card makers do have linux drivers. Creative even published an open source driver with some sort of gnu-like license for some of their cards. I am studying this topic now, and while I'm no expert, I have talked to enough of them to know it isn't just a question of having the right hardware and software but also of configuring it right. My impression is it is probably possible but there do seem to be a lot more audiophiles using Windows than linux. If it is possible I want to do it with linux because I doubt if any of the Windows players have more than a rudimentary, if any, cli, and I want to run it with voice activated scripts.

nothingspecial
February 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Thank you for the information but please don't bump old threads to the top.

Closed.