PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 10.04 new theme revealed!

sudoer541
November 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
the new theme (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/proposed-lucid-theme-ubuntusun-download.html) does not look vey bad! its not bad I wouldint say OMG!!!

jeyaganesh
November 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
1st Ubuntusun is nice!

pwnst*r
November 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
what a terrible url name

PariahVayne
November 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The color scheme is horrible.

FuturePilot
November 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I don't think that looks good at all.

Also, the thread title makes it sound like it's official or something when it's only just a submission.

sudoer541
November 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I think they should use more blue! because blue gives a pleasant feeling to things such as the sky.

OrangeCrate
November 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
What goes around, comes around, I guess...

It looks a little like Enlightenment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14466841@N03/1491161588/sizes/l/

Kingsley
November 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I've never been a fan of humongous title bars.

jacobs444
November 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
anything with less brown rocks to me.

slumbergod
November 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't have a problem with how Ubuntu looks but the one thing I would say is that all of these themes just look the same to me. Sure, a few tweaks to colour; sometimes a minor change in the icons. Otherwise they are all just the same thing.

Regenweald
November 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Existing themes are really a lot of the same. I'll wait till gtk+ itself supports more robust theming capability.

Raffles10
November 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Another brown theme, gosh what a shock........:roll:

fillintheblanks
November 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I was thinking maybe they should make something like this..

http://i46.tinypic.com/8vpyfk.png

Mmmbopdowedop
November 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I think it sucks.

It's horrible, UI's need to be clear, not dull and dark, it looks like it was around in the 70's.

These guys making these themes really need to get away from the brown and head to something a little more brighter. I doubt anybody actually does like it.

ZankerH
November 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM
DO NOT WANT.

Seriously, they should just give up trying to brand gnome and ship it as it is by default, like they do with KDE.

SquishyOctopus
November 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I think it looks great! :)

gnomeuser
November 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Proposed theme from the community if I am correct, not the official thing which we aren't likely to see before the Artwork drops.

BigSilly
November 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I've always liked the brown themes in Ubuntu. I've just discovered the Hanso theme in the repos and am liking it so far. I still feel Ubuntu's themes are very easy on the eye and attractive, though I can imagine younger people not really going for the brown look.

These new Lucid themes look OK to me. I prefer the Dawn theme in the OP. Bit brighter. I do agree though, that a great many themes are lacking a little imagination, but I can't complain about it since I did nothing to improve the situation. :D

Exodist
November 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM
New theme is horrible. IMHO.
It doesn't contrast correctly.
Colors don't compliment each other.
Over all WinXP looks better..
Ubuntu Sun just doesn't look interesting, noor does it have a professional appeal. The theme appears to be written by a teenager that just started theming.

Geeze where does the devs find these guys!

Exodist
November 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
DO NOT WANT.

Seriously, they should just give up trying to brand gnome and ship it as it is by default, like they do with KDE.
+QFT!! I Agree!

Exodist
November 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinking maybe they should make something like this..

http://i46.tinypic.com/8vpyfk.png
Metacity does not allow this..

joey-elijah
November 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Proposed theme from the community if I am correct, not the official thing which we aren't likely to see before the Artwork drops.

Hello - it's my post that the original poster is referencing - just to be clear, the original poster has misunderstood.

This is one of the themes submitted on the Lucid artwork page so far; a proposal for Ubuntu Lucid but not the final theme. No where in my post do i claim it to be the final theme, either! The first paragraph in the article makes explicitly clear that this is a submission: -

The artwork proposals for Lucid have begun getting underway this last week or two and the most interesting submission so far is UbuntuSun (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Lucid/UbuntuSun).

Can't win 'em all though!
what a terrible url name

Good job you didn't choose it then!

The name is intended to be hyperbolic. :rolleyes:

Psumi
November 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Too bad I use xfwm.

fillintheblanks
November 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Metacity does not allow this..

how about this? :P

http://i46.tinypic.com/15xqsdd.png

Psumi
November 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Looks worse than the original design to be honest. I like my titlebars on top.

Cardale
November 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
A quote comes to mind. "Keep it simple stupid"

adeypoop
December 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Nice themes ;-)

LinuxFanBoi
December 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM
WTB Less brown! For god sake I feel like they should name the default Ubuntu themes Oktoberfest! Cant we just have a simple monochrome theme with a little hits of colors here and there?

sports fan Matt
December 2nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
I extract it and i get an error saying Can't move directory over directory. after I extract and find the three themes..Anyone else have this occur?

PryGuy
December 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
The new theme is crap IMO!

fillintheblanks
December 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Looks worse than the original design to be honest. I like my titlebars on top.

well, I think ubuntu should be a lot less like windows, and a lot more like ubuntu. that's why I like the titlebar at the bottom. I think it gives it character

FuturePilot
December 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM

Metacity doesn't allow that either.

MadsRH
December 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
i don't think that looks good at all.

Also, the thread title makes it sound like it's official or something when it's only just a submission.

+1

Psumi
December 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I, for one, like the sun thing.

cdwillis
December 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
This is just one of the themes submitted so far. It might not even make it onto the live CD, much less be the default theme. Personally I don't like it at all.

I think the default should be something blue/grey (Elementary GTK) with splashes of the Ubuntu color scheme.

svkndv
December 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I am not sure why ubuntu is not moving away from dull brown to pleasant green or blue themes.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I kind of like it. I'd have to darken it up a bit so that it would go well with my icons :)

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I think Ubuntu should move toward black with hints of brown and orange, the dusk looks good but the metacity doesn't work with it. I was more of a fan of 9.10's artwork, I mean it wasn't great but at least it's pleasant. I feel like every release we all have to cross our fingers and hope for a better artwork package, but a lot of us end up a little dissapointed. Over the last few releases, the artwork is improving though, infact it's growing on me. Who cares though, it's not like I stick with the default.

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
There is not nearly enough contrast between text and background, and title bar and window content.

Also is a little dull, but it's good considering the default Ubuntu colour scheme :P

I am not sure why ubuntu is not moving away from dull brown to pleasant green or blue themes.
To change the colour scheme you'd have to completely re-brand Ubuntu. This isn't good for marketting. I was surprised with the actual default Karmic theme, I didn't find it that bad!

As with this theme, yeah, keep on it. Maybe simplify the title bar buttons. It's looking promising. :D

Devport
December 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ubuntu`s artwork was and is a joke - someone not knowing what Ubuntu is gets the impression of an outdated, ugly operating system. Considering what KDE now looks like out of the box a theme like this cant compete with Windows 7, MacOS X and KDE 4 default. Even among linux distributions its one of the worst themes.

If ugliness is a way to get attention then Ubuntu`s artwork is the way to go - but AFAIK e.g. Win7 gets its attention ( and its sells ) at least partially for its beauty... ( if you argue that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - polls have shown that even the ubuntu colors are anything but popular )

Edit : After years I`ve come to the conclusion that Ubuntu`s theme is ever changing, never improving

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I would argue that it is improving, slowly. I'd honestly prefer this than see Ubuntu's artwork become some overglamified sellout. At least this way Ubuntu holds true to its image and originality.

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Personally I'd take Ubuntu default over Kubuntu just because KDE looks too busy. Too much going on. Ergh.

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Personally I'd take Ubuntu default over Kubuntu just because KDE looks too busy. Too much going on. Ergh.
I don't think that's a fair statement about KDE, it can look very minimal depending on the way it's presented. Kubuntu is a poor implementation of KDE.

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I don't think that's a fair statement about KDE, it can look very minimal depending on the way it's presented. Kubuntu is a poor implementation of KDE.
To be honest I wouldn't know, it's just the vibe I get of the KDE website. I'll try it out properly one day, give it a tweak and see how it feels. It's the same thing that puts me off Windows Aero, all that glass and glowing. I can't concentrate with all that visual excitement :P

uberdonkey5
December 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
don't particularly hate it or love it. I think the default theme should be attractive yet look cool and work like, not like a fun toy. Anyone can change the theme once they get into ubuntu a bit, but for people swapping from windows, we need it to look better (and I mean more professional and cool, not more widgets) than windows.

Actually, I like the current selection of default themes in Karmic.. I went for the darker panels and dark (grit) wallpaper, but its good there are lighter and more fun options. Its nice have a good selection as default, as really I can't be bothered wasting time on doing too much on my desktop (I use my computer mostly for work).

PS. thumbs up for Karmic Koala.. all round well presented

LinuxFanBoi
December 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
don't particularly hate it or love it. I think the default theme should be attractive yet look cool and work like, not like a fun toy. Anyone can change the theme once they get into ubuntu a bit, but for people swapping from windows, we need it to look better (and I mean more professional and cool, not more widgets) than windows.

Actually, I like the current selection of default themes in Karmic.. I went for the darker panels and dark (grit) wallpaper, but its good there are lighter and more fun options. Its nice have a good selection as default, as really I can't be bothered wasting time on doing too much on my desktop (I use my computer mostly for work).

PS. thumbs up for Karmic Koala.. all round well presented

Choosing a distro should have nothing to do with how things look by default. It should have more to do with how well that distro is supported. The default look and feel should follow only two basic rules, basic and functional. aside from that everything else is "window dressing." Just give the user what they need, let them choose for themselves what they want.

No two UI's should look the same IMO. What one person thinks is artistic and beautiful, another will think is hideous. The user interface should serve the users purpose. and since well all to different things for different reasons, it goes without saying that what one user finds functional, another may believe is obstructive and broken.

So as far as I'm concerned, I don't care what the default theme is in any distro. as long as it's easy enough for me to decipher until I pop in my thumb drive and pull my settings and theme files off of it, it's good enough.

BrokenKingpin
December 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have to say I hate that theme, and every theme that Ubuntu has used in the past for that matter. I can't stand brown theme. They should move to a blue theme, it will look more professional.

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I have to say I hate that theme, and every theme that Ubuntu has used in the past for that matter. I can't stand brown theme. They should move to a blue theme, it will look more professional.

Basically that's windows talk there. After all, Windows Professional has a blue box.

sudoer541
December 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
OMG!!! this is so cool!!! (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/lucid-to-get-aero-style-rgba.html)
It will be enabled by default!!!

MellonCollie
December 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
:-?

cookieofdoom
December 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
So basically they're adding RGBA support? I hope it looks nothing like that screenshot. That's kinda over-powering.

starcannon
December 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thats cool. I hope they put most resources into continuing to create more and more hardware compatibility though. I prefer function to form when it comes to my computers.

t0p
December 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I see from the link to omgubuntu.co.uk that there's a PPA available if users want to test this - but it's for Lucid only.

I think that's rotten. Why can't the rest of us give it a go? PPAs for Hardy, Jaunty and karmic NOW!!

Anyhoo... how long before someone puts this up on Gnome-look.org for the rest of us to use? I don't see why Lucid testers should have all the fun...

sudoer541
December 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I hope my pc can handle it. I have only a 128MB ATI video card.
what do you guys think?

FuturePilot
December 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
WOW :shock: do want!

phrostbyte
December 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
So green is the new brown?

In alphas they sometimes change the theme to test some kind of X feature or widget skinning. Somehow I doubt the theme will end up changing much in the final release.

bovender
December 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
So basically they're adding RGBA support? I hope it looks nothing like that screenshot. That's kinda over-powering.

I totally agree. The latest Windows versions with Aero enabled are IMHO visual overkill, and I just hope that the Ubuntu developers don't waste their whole energy trying to copy that.

I actually like the elegant, functional design of Karmic. (Am I the only one around here?!)

purgatori
December 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Ugh. No thanks.

Psumi
December 10th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have to agree as well, it's a bit overpowering to be honest.

Tibuda
December 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
this thread title is misleading. this is not the lucid theme. it just says they are testing rgba support on gtk+ and considering it.

gutterslob
December 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ugh. No thanks.

This.

All that DE-glossiness has always been way too naff for me.
(purely personal opinion... if you like it, then more power to you)

tom66
December 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
If used correctly, this could look good. Things like a semitransparent menu bar give polish to an OS. I don't like the testing screenshot, but I doubt that'll be their final theme.

LowSky
December 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
So Ubuntu is getting Aero basically? Ubuntu should be graphically pleasing, but copying other operating systems seems just plain wrong. Then again I use AWN which put me into that whole OS/X Dock user group... I'm such a hypocrite!

Hyper Tails
December 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Neato!!

can't wait

wmcbrine
December 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
It probably won't work on my ancient video card anyway.

But come on, don't pretend that Aero isn't gorgeous.

Psumi
December 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
It probably won't work on my ancient video card anyway.

But come on, don't pretend that Aero isn't gorgeous.

Stability > Graphical Pleasure

My grandma says, if it works, don't fix it. She uses WinXP.

koleoptero
December 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Aero and an rgba enabled murrine theme (http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2007/12/12/gtk-rgba-transparent-widgets-with-the-murrine-engine/) are quite different stories... Plus it took them long enough :P

Mr. Picklesworth
December 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
To clarify: This has nothing to do with transparent or glassy windows as in Aero.

The gist of the patch is to have client side window decorations in GTK. That is, instead of the window manager drawing decorations, GTK does. The current situation is really dumb because we have two completely unrelated processes handling the visual design of a window. The ideal solution needs quite a bit of engineering, but this should really get things moving.

One other big change coming out of the patch is enabling RGBA by default in all cases. Hopefully, as this happens, theme designers will put some thought into where windows should actually be transparent instead of just going "ooh, shiny!" and putting 50% opacity on every widget. (Which happens to be why that particular, completely unrelated screenshot on OMGUbuntu looks so ridiculous).

An important benefit springing from that is a new possibility for proper rounded corners, including maybe on popup menus, and the ability for a theme to CLEANLY render a smooth transition between title bar, menu bar and tool bar.

Basically, a tidier presentation from a technical sense, as well as more control for theme designers and application developers.

23meg
December 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Note that it's currently being tested. That doesn't mean it will definitely be included in the final release.

So Ubuntu is getting Aero basically?

What's being tested are patches that enable transparency on arbitrary GTK+ regions and client-side window decorations. Aero does much more than that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero).

Psumi
December 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
To clarify: This has nothing to do with transparent or glassy windows.

The gist of the patch is to have client side window decorations in GTK. That is, instead of the window manager drawing decorations, GTK does. The current situation is really dumb because we have two completely unrelated processes handling the visual design of a window.

One handy thing coming off of this is enabling RGBA by default in all cases. Hopefully, as this happens, theme designers will put some thought into where windows should actually be transparent instead of just going "ooh, shiny!" and putting 50% opacity on every widget.

An important benefit springing from that is a new possibility for proper rounded corners, including maybe on popup menus, and the ability for a theme to CLEANLY render a smooth transition between title bar, menu bar and tool bar.

So UbuntuSun is out the door because it's metacity? A bit harsh.

overdrank
December 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Threads merged

23meg
December 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Threads merged

Bad idea, since it will lead people to confuse the patched GTK+ (which is not a theme) being tested with a random theme submission.

Psumi
December 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Bad idea, since it will lead people to confuse the patched GTK+ (which is not a theme) being tested with a random theme submission.

Seriously, since the GTK patch will not only bring transparency, but other things.

Tibuda
December 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Yeah, the 'ubuntu 10.04 "The OMG!!! theme!"' thread has nothing to do with lucid new theme.

Giant Speck
December 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM
As simple as it is, UbuntuSun is pretty nice.

And LAWL at Ubuntu finally getting RGBA support.

Shpongle
December 11th, 2009, 12:18 AM
someone like giant speck should make the theme , a nice sleek professional looking ui, big fan of your work by the way keep it up man :-)

Giant Speck
December 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
someone like giant speck should make the theme , a nice sleek professional looking ui, big fan of your work by the way keep it up man :-)

:oops:

Psumi
December 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
For those of you wondering, the ubuntu sun metacity changes colors/etc. with the GTK theme.

For example, if you use human controls, the ubuntusun will be brown colored more.

Redmond will render the sun more blue.

symon1980
December 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
lol.... although i applaud the effort that the ubuntu team are FINALLY seeing the light and doing something about the default look..... i really can't see them making ubuntu/gnome look much good...... You can decorate a turd as much as you like but its still a piece of ****.....

i really don't understand why ubuntu just don't dump gnome in favour of kde.... kubuntu sucks.... lets have the power of the Ubuntu team with kde as default!

hmmmmm. i just woke up and saw reality... that will never happen....

K.Mandla
December 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think that looks good at all.

+1 both times.

Exodist
December 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Metacity does not allow that either. It ONLY allows boring traditional styles sadly. The biggest extent of Metcity is rounded corners. Thats it.

3rdalbum
December 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Ubuntu already has RGBA support; open the System Monitor when you're using the Darkroom theme and Compiz. Or Gnome Terminal. You can install plugins for Eye Of Gnome, Gedit and Rhythmbox that enable RGBA in those programs. It's now up to application developers to add RGBA to their software.

Giant Speck
December 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ubuntu already has RGBA support; open the System Monitor when you're using the Darkroom theme and Compiz. Or Gnome Terminal. You can install plugins for Eye Of Gnome, Gedit and Rhythmbox that enable RGBA in those programs. It's now up to application developers to add RGBA to their software.

Right now, the only way to get RGBA support in Ubuntu is to install a theme that uses the Murrine GTK+ engine. And even then, you have to turn RGBA on in the theme itself and not all applications are supported.

In Lucid, you won't need to use a Murrine-based theme, because RGBA will be built into GTK itself.

Weldrin
December 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
im so looking forward for new ubuntu version but where can i find such images of the development? i am very eager to find themes on ubuntu since i am a very VISUAL person esp in computer displays thanks in advance for providing images links :)

AndyP79
December 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Right now, the only way to get RGBA support in Ubuntu is to install a theme that uses the Murrine GTK+ engine. And even then, you have to turn RGBA on in the theme itself and not all applications are supported.

In Lucid, you won't need to use a Murrine-based theme, because RGBA will be built into GTK itself.

I decided to use my old laptop, which is not all that old, to test Lucid. I am wondering how I turn on RGBA? I have plenty of Murrine themes on here right now, but no transparency? Or is this something that will come with updates? Will I end up doing an update and presto chango..transparency? I am really confused by what I am reading, I saw another thread that was saying that it is not going to be RGBA, but will use RGB?? WTF?? So what does that mean? All theme engines will be transparent?

sudoer541
December 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I decided to use my old laptop, which is not all that old, to test Lucid. I am wondering how I turn on RGBA? I have plenty of Murrine themes on here right now, but no transparency? Or is this something that will come with updates? Will I end up doing an update and presto chango..transparency? I am really confused by what I am reading, I saw another thread that was saying that it is not going to be RGBA, but will use RGB?? WTF?? So what does that mean? All theme engines will be transparent?

could you please post the link?
I read that RGBA will be enabled out of the box once the final version kicks in.
btw I get most of my info from OMG! ubuntu! website

knavarathna92
December 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Erm....not feeling that look, I think we should move in a more Dust/New Wave kind of direction and drop the brighter shades of orange and brown.

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 03:53 AM
That theme is offensively ugly

Resu
December 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
The thread title is seriously misleading.

23meg
December 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM
The thread title is seriously misleading.

More like, the thread titles and original posts of two unrelated threads that were merged were misleading. That's a trainwreck of misinformation.

premamotion
December 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Nice :D ! Better that the theme in Ubuntu 9.10...

autora
December 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
oh yay! more brown!

symon1980
January 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM
10.04 had better be THE Ubuntu that is made to look Modern.... Everybody has been waiting for a long time for it... and alot of people are gradually turning to KDE.... They need to make BIG changes and improve the look of GTK this time around... But i don't have much faith in that.... promises have been broken the last 3 releases and this one is going to be the same

humphreybc
January 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
It's like the meaning of the word "proposed" has dropped out of the english language.

juancarlospaco
January 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
i see the theme, these window borders, now i want an ice cream, i dont know why...

benjamimgois
January 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
It's like the meaning of the word "proposed" has dropped out of the english language.

exactly... This topic is making the wrong suggestion that it's the official new theme, but it isn't !

sudoer541
February 14th, 2010, 04:06 AM
its sad that they pushed the RGBA theme to ubuntu 10.10:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Twitch6000
February 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Its better then the current one for sure...

Woolio1
February 14th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Question, why do we still use Metacity? Why don't we choose a better window manager?

And am I trapped with that horrendous Sun theme for six months?

Giant Speck
February 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Question, why do we still use Metacity? Why don't we choose a better window manager?

And am I trapped with that horrendous Sun theme for six months?

Um... no...

1. The Sun theme is only a proposal.
2. Even if it was accepted and made the default theme, you aren't forced to use it.

Woolio1
February 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Okay, that's a relief. So, my first question was "Why don't we choose a more capable windows manager?"

Mind answering that?

Giant Speck
February 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Okay, that's a relief. So, my first question was "Why don't we choose a more capable windows manager?"

Mind answering that?

I have no idea because I run Compiz and Emerald instead of Metacity.

PryGuy
February 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
the new theme (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/proposed-lucid-theme-ubuntusun-download.html) does not look vey bad! its not bad I wouldint say OMG!!!This theme looks terrible and very unprofessional IMHO...

Human-Lucid (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Lucid/Human-Lucid) looks promising though...

xuCGC002
February 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I don't like it. It looks a bit clunky for a window decoration.

cariboo
February 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
The first artwork drop isn't until the 24th of Febuary, so there is no need to get excited yet.

Islington
February 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
You know, I hate to be negative, but this is why I dislike blogs like omgubuntu. None of your feedback is going back to the artist. Some of you are making comments like "I don't like it." which are perfectly valid but ultimately useless; it's oh so much better if you go on the mailing list or the wiki and leave a comment like "I dont like it because of x,y,z". This is one of the greatest strengths of opensource design: nothing much is done behind closed doors, and source materials and knowledge is freely shared.

If you don't like the theme and have a better idea, ask the artist for his source material (most likely it will be posted already); modify it to the best of your ability and try to explain why your idea has merit.

Blogs like omgubuntu are great for scraping together a collection of what is going on in the different teams and so on, but they are horrible in getting your voices heard. They are also terrible at following the debate and reasoning and the questions that go behind mockups and ideas and updates to those mockups and ideas.

I urge you, I plead you, that if you do have something, anything, constructive to say about a proposal/theme/wallpaper leave a comment on the mailing list, start a topic on the flickr group, visit and comment on the wiki. Heck email the artist, but make yourself heard where the people are listening.

PhilGil
February 14th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Mind answering that?
Are there more capable window managers that are as lightweight as Metacity?

I don't believe it's Ubuntu's choice anyway - Metacity is the default Gnome window manager. Personally, I think the default themes need to remain lightweight enough to work adequately on older equipment. The last think I'd like to see is users being forced to upgrade their equipment just for basic OS functionality (didn't work out well for Microsoft when they tried it with Vista).

I think Gnome/Metacity strikes a reasonable middle ground. People with very old equipment (or folks that want to wring every last ounce of performance out of newer hardware) can run a more lightweight window manager. If you want flashier effects you have the option to run Compiz with Emerald.