PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Aptitude 0.5?

Foolishgrunt
November 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Lately I've been using aptitude rather than apt-get for all of my software install/remove needs. Even with the autoremove function, apt-get lags behind aptitude in terms of handling dependencies.

Unfortunately, I very much like Synaptic, which uses apt-get. So recently I've only been able to use Synaptic, my favorite package install/remove program, as a search tool.

I really wish there were a GUI for aptitude. But wait, there is. It comes in aptitude 0.5, which is included in Debian installations. But Ubuntu is still using aptitude 0.4. Is there any way to install aptitude 0.5 in Ubuntu? I've searched for a .deb file, but haven't found one.

kellemes
November 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
What's wrong with the ncurses gui that's included already?
I think it's fine and intuitive and surely a lot faster than any GTK-gui.

Anyway, don't know how to install 0.5 on Ubuntu, sorry.

Foolishgrunt
November 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Synaptic lists every package in all of your repositories (whether you've installed it or not), then provides a nice little icon that not only tells you whether it's installed or not, but lets you install it right away.

I haven't found an easy way to use the ncurses aptitude interface to search for packages in this way. It could be that I simply haven't figured out how to use it yet, but I just don't think it was designed to work that way. I also don't know whether the aptitude-gtk program works this way either, but the screenshots I've seen make it look like it does.