PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] listen to music

tomski
November 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
so since all the changes across linux land it would appear that the whole world wants to create a database/collection' seperatly!!!

back in the days when i had warty installed things we so easy it seems & since then i have have to change & re-learn everything just to do the simplest of task's

for example as far back as edgy i used xmms @ that period in time the resource usage was about 5% but recently upon upgrading to karmic(what a pun) it was replaced by xmms2

now when i saw the name i instantly thought oohhh updated eh! niiice

but ooooooooohhhhhhh no

this is something completely different it would appear that the world & his dev wants to make every damn media player out there a carbon copy of the god forsaken pile of BLEEP that is itunes

& in this world you have to first create a collection/db then add your media to the collection/db (which can take an EON!) then create a playlist & then finaly hear some music

now forgive me if i am wrong here but

I ALREADY HAVE A COLLECTION!

it is about 500Gb in size & lives on a 1TB usb hard drive if in the recent past i wanted to listen i would 'browse' for the file/album i wanted to play

so why in god's many different names would i want to sit here and wait for a pointless db to be created just so this damn application can play a song or 2

i can understand some people out there have a static library of media & perhaps for those this is a good thing but i have a usb drive & sansa flux player these 2 go pretty much with me on long travels so WHY would i have a DB at home?

everytime i reconnect my drive i have to go through these damn steps to play something

it is only a matter of time until ALL media players adopt this latest and greatest way of managing media but i think this needs to stay as a plugin to a normal media application

some things in linux are really best left as they were!

fancypiper
November 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
audacious2 is fairly close to the old xmms (which I also miss).