PDA

View Full Version : Browsers

mkvnmtr
November 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I had an experience with a browser that I think I should relate. I sort of collect browsers so this morning I installed Lobo. I got it from Get Deb and it is written in java. Java did not seem like a good idea to me but I do not know mush so I tried it. It would not load Yahoo. I got it to log on to this forum but it was kind of slow. Then I answered a post and it looked like it did not send and froze up. I could not get force quit to close it so I used my machine restart to boot my 9.04 back up. Looks like it is not something I can use.
I would like to ask if anyone has any experience with it and what you use it for?

Glucklich
November 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
A browser you found in Get Deb? Written in Java? Say whaaaaaat?! That is strange, to say the least.

Firefox didn't worked for you? Nor SeaMonkey? Nor Dillo?

mkvnmtr
November 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
No all those other browsers worked fine plus Opera and Chromium. It is just that I thought I would try it. I quite often us two browsers at the same time. And you are right this one does seem strange but maybe it has a purpose that I am not seeing.

Glucklich
November 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I looked it up and went to their website. http://lobobrowser.org/java-browser.jsp

Why a Pure Java Browser?
There are a number of advantages to be derived from a browser that is written in Java as opposed to a language compiled into native code, namely:

* Security.- In principle, a Java program is less suceptible to certain types of vulnerabilities such as a buffer overflow attack. Java's security model can also allow web content to have access to a complex set of APIs, except in a controlled sandbox.
* Extensibility.- A Java-based application can be extended via powerful cross-platform plugins. Consider the difference this has made for Java software such as jEdit and Eclipse. (Lobo already has a plugin API).
* New paradigms.- With the help of Java we can implement new powerful cross-platform and secure mechanisms to represent web content. As of version 0.98, JavaFX and Java are first-class citizens in Lobo, on par with HTML.
* Portability.- This is the obvious advantage of a pure Java application.

Plus, I think it might be used on mobile devices. But on the portability chapter, they gotta admit that Dillo is feather-like stuff.

Sef
December 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.