PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty vs. Karmic

jonnyg01
November 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think I want to go back to Jaunty...
It's almost as if the Koala isn't as friendly as I'd like it to be...
What do you think?

Dougie187
November 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I think karmic is way better than jaunty. Everything works great for me. I have less issues than I did in jaunty, though still some. But in general it's very good.

Excedio
November 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
*snip*It's almost as if the Koala isn't as friendly as I'd like it to be...*snip*

Maybe they're not... ;-) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpOaItHRvo)

PuddingKnife
November 30th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I hated Jaunty and couldn't wait till Karmic came out. The Intel driver issue had me banging my head off the keyboard.

Karmic came out and fixed it, and I havent had any other issues to speak of. I'm very happy with it, and might not even upgrade when Lucid comes out. If I do, I will ease into it like a hot hot bath.

fillintheblanks
November 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I felt karmic was a little bit too dumbed down for me, so I went back to jaunty

Bölvağur
November 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM

are you saying koala is trying to rape you?

Megrimn
November 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
At least I can boot karmic without having to hold the spacebar down ^_^

Primefalcon
November 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I like karmic, the one change I made was switching from gnome to kde and I love it

emigrant
November 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
i could live without the forum with jaunty.
karmic is too problematic (for me).

Excedio
November 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
are you saying koala is trying to rape you?

Seems like it doesn't it?

Lyleb
November 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Will be going back to Jaunty. Karmic is extremely unstable. 2 - 5 hard reboots per day when it just freezes.

jonnyg01
November 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I think It's more along the lines of I'm doing the raping =)

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Jaunty was a good friend. Some packages, such as Virtualbox are much better managed in the Karmic repositories. I also like the new Pulseaudio applet and GDM. My issues with Evolution crashing have been resolved.

Dirtpile
November 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My overall experience with Karmic wasn't what I'd call good. I had network issues (constant disconnection when I opened a BT client (tried them all)), mail notification wouldn't work (evolution or T-bird), and desktop effects were completely disabled with no fix in sight.

I went back to Jaunty after about a week. It just worked for me perfectly. I will give Lucid a go when it comes out but if it won't work for me either I may leave Ubuntu.

adeypoop
November 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I upgraded from Hardy and couldn't be happier with Karmic , there is no chance I'd downgrade to Jaunty. I've also started using Karmic netbook respin and very happy with that also. Ubuntu just keeps getting better.

I like the new themes and icons, I like the integration of evolution with cloud one for contacts. I think the new software centre is very user friendly. For me the new Intel drivers are also a massive plus.

Go Karmic!!!

Glucklich
November 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Seems like it doesn't it?

And the worse thing is that, a Lynx ain't certainly going help you :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_0llhLNe0&feature=related

Look at that jump. I wonder if he likes Basketball.

andy-switched-2-linux
November 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
ye im new 2 linux well ubuntu and i got my hands on kaola installed it worked fine then i tryed 2 connect 2 wifi and it just didnt work i swithed back to jaunty but flash wouldnt install im doing a big update now hopefully it fixes everything;):o:D:o:D

l-x-l
December 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I started with 8.10 (Wubi). Loved it. Moved to Jaunty on a dedicated partition & had issues; including wifi drops, nVidia graphics, sound problems, etc. But overall I liked it because it gave a good learning experience.

Then I moved to Linux Mint 7 for about 1 month. Loved it because it looked great & had all codecs pre-installed. Still, Mint 7 had the same problems I experienced with Jaunty. Eventually came back to Karmic because Mint was a little "too easy".

Mint showed me what a good looking Linux distro looked like & I took what I liked about it's appearance & brought it back to Ubuntu. The only wart I found with Karmic has been the sound issues but I found fixes. Grub2 also is giving me a little issue changing terminal resolution but it's nothing major. Everything else works great. No more wifi drops. No more graphics problem. Sound problem was fixed with an upgrade to the latest ALSA version, driver, etc.

So far can't really complain. Great job community.

drawkcab
December 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
the only thing that bothers me about karmic64 is that my flash video controls go south when I have compiz enabled

smoosh
December 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I am having issues with both. Was using Karmic, but had no suspend and it was dropping my wifi connections, so I went back to Jaunty and was having weird choppy trackpad cursor movement that drove me crazy, so went back to Karmic, compiled a custom kernel that fixed suspend, but now I have no brightness control AND crappy wifi. About to install Jaunty again right now and will try again. ugg. I kind of want to switch distros, but I don't really know where to turn. I downloaded PCLinuxOS and ran it from the live cd, but no brightness control or wifi on that either. sheesh.

Rackstar
December 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I had a rocksolid Jaunty, kind of regret the update to Karmic. I feel obliged to fix this problematic installation, while I could've lived peacefully ignorantly stayed with Jaunty.

(Short: suspend/resume fails now, boot sometimes fails, ...)

Ian dewhurst
December 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I had a rocksolid Jaunty, kind of regret the update to Karmic. I feel obliged to fix this problematic installation, while I could've lived peacefully ignorantly stayed with Jaunty.

(Short: suspend/resume fails now, boot sometimes fails, ...)

Oh yeah with you on that.
Resume doesn't ask for a password which is really annoying, no volume control at all part of me regrets upgrading but I have next weekend to fix those little niggling issues
I have already had to fix grub2 issues and no wireless driver upon fresh installs.

Nerd King
December 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Karmic was causing lock-ups due to a disagreement with the 31 kernel and my wireless card (which affected all distros using 31). Upgrading to 32 fixed it. Now Karmic is sexy. Only word of caution is don't expect proprietary drivers to work on 32, but for ATI users, add xorg-edgers PPA and you'll get lovely open-source 3D anyway so you don't do badly overall.

Exodist
December 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I think that Koala was getting very friendly with the other.. hehe

Uncle Spellbinder
December 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm sticking with Karmic. I like it better, overall.

Although there is one thing I wish was fixed in Karmic. The ability to use TVTime is not possible. Video is fine, no sound though. A bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tvtime/+bug/472770) has been filed, so I guess I'll just have to see if it gets fixed in Karmic. Might have to wait for a fix to appear in Lucid. Other than that, Karmic is rock solid.

BrokenKingpin
December 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had mroe issues with Karmic than I did with Jaunty, but it is still decent and will continue to use it.

the.scarecrow
December 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Karmic 32 is working very well for me and I can see lots of detail improvements that I appreciate. My Jaunty installation was 100% so a hard act to follow and Karmic has impressed me.

I do have two small issues:
It can't use my ISP DNS server, I have to use OpenDNS but this is fine with me because its noticeably quicker.
Grub2 Failed to see my Jaunty partition left behind on the same HD. However there are no problems accessing all the files in the Jaunty /home so its not a problem. Grub always screws up for me so I'm used to it.

SO a very happy user here.

mbrowning2000
December 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Karmic worked great for me, but unfortunately my Radeon 9700 GPU went out. Then I had to swap back to my integrated Intel 845g Graphics Chipset, and things got bad....... Jaunty fixed it though. :D

Hyper Tails
December 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I hated Jaunty and couldn't wait till Karmic came out. The Intel driver issue had me banging my head off the keyboard.

Karmic came out and fixed it, and I havent had any other issues to speak of. I'm very happy with it, and might not even upgrade when Lucid comes out. If I do, I will ease into it like a hot hot bath.

Same with my laptop

it was fixed in karmic

louieb
December 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Have Jaunty and Karmic on my laptop. Karmic just does not do it better for me. When the 1st Lucid alpha comes out Karmic is gone - like dust in the wind.

emigrant
December 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM
believe me jaunty is more faster than karmic for me... :D

smoosh
December 9th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Yup, for my machine, Jaunty is waaaaay better. Got it reinstalled and everything works perfect, even the built in mic, for the first time ever. I ain't upgradin' for nothin'! Karmic was OK, but a laptop without suspend is like car you have to jump start every time.

Dr Belka
December 9th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Karmic was a superb upgrade from jaunty for my laptop, but it was a bit too much to run on my older desktop for some reason.

Damon68
December 9th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'm sticking with Karmic. I like it better, overall.

Although there is one thing I wish was fixed in Karmic. The ability to use TVTime is not possible. Video is fine, no sound though. A bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tvtime/+bug/472770) has been filed, so I guess I'll just have to see if it gets fixed in Karmic. Might have to wait for a fix to appear in Lucid. Other than that, Karmic is rock solid.

I had/have this problem as well, in my case I was able to get sound working in tvtime by changing my alsa settings to 2 channel rather than 5.1.

One of the first things I do when loading in a new system is setup my sound, being I have 5.1 that's obviously something I setup in alsa immediately, I then installed tvtime and no sound, well 4 attemps at different distro's later and on one occassion not setting up my sound BEFORE installing tvtime and viola, I have sound in tvtime. I've now tried several different distro's gnome and kde versions since and as long as my alsa is set to 2 channel and not 5.1 sound in tvtime works everytime.

Give it a try :)

Damon

P.S. I'll be dumping karmic and returning to jaunty, although I seem to have figured out the tvtime sound issue (at least for me), I for the life of me can't get everquest and wine to play nicely in karmic but have no problem getting it to work in jaunty. (In karmic everything loads fine but character/npc/mob models do not show at all). I'm just assuming returning to jaunty will solve this, it could very well be the newer version of wine for all I know, but worth a shot as EQ is the only game I play anymore even if it is only once or twice a month...heh

kentechy
December 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I like Karmic now that I fixed a few things. It did some crashing after the first install but after a few updates it is solid. I had to fix the audio crackling thing, which was caused by the power saver messing with the audio card. I found information on how to disable that function and the sound is good now. I don't like Grub2 so far. It was much easier to just edit menu.lst for me...

I love to come home from using XP at work, and fire up Ubuntu!!

vicshrike
December 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Karmic runs fine for me, had the sound problem at first of course, but the "problem" were just that alsamixer volume were set to 0!