PDA

View Full Version : closing open source?

maclenin
November 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Is this (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/technology/business-computing/30open.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1259596821-ezT5sZjjj3iEcXQH3nx6/Q) the end, my friend?

CJ Master
November 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
...I don't see anything in the article about an "end" to anything.

doas777
November 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
no. just look at divx. once if closed, we made xvid.

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, this is the end of FOSS

Red Hat is going to be delisted from the NYSE
Linus is ceasing all development on kernel.org
the FSF is folding and shutting down the GNU project
Oracle is discontinuing all Sun open source products.

lykwydchykyn
November 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, this is the end of FOSS

Red Hat is going to be delisted from the NYSE
Linus is ceasing all development on kernel.org
the FSF is folding and shutting down the GNU project
Oracle is discontinuing all Sun open source products.

And all ubuntu machines will shut down forever in T-minus 24 hrs and counting.

Bye everyone!

armageddon08
November 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Heeelp!! It's the apocalypse.....GOD where are you??????????

Excedio
November 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Heeelp!! It's the apocalypse.....GOD where are you??????????

Lol...ironic username in regards to your post. ;-)

armageddon08
November 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Irony is a part of the Apocalypse. :)

lukeiamyourfather
November 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
There's some interesting quotes in the article from interviews but I can't take the author seriously because they said this. Is Linux only for servers now?

The best-known open-source company is Red Hat, which produces a variant of the Linux operating system for server computers.

MySQL as we know it might go away (the major concern of this thread?), but anyone can take the source code from the last release and start TheirOwnSQL. So just because the original developer stops developing the software doesn't mean its gone forever.

mickie.kext
November 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Is this intended to be a spam thread? :D

What if Oracle buys Sun just to slip in its name and bussines model... and ponytail remains CEO..?

That would be awsome! Open source software and hardware for everyone!

EDIT: It is not gona happen I know...

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
There's some interesting quotes in the article from interviews but I can't take the author seriously because they said this. Is Linux only for servers now?
The best-known open-source company is Red Hat, which produces a variant of the Linux operating system for server computers.

They were saying Red Hat produces Linux for servers, not Linux is only for servers.

lykwydchykyn
November 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
MySQL as we know it might go away (the major concern of this thread?), but anyone can take the source code from the last release and start TheirOwnSQL. So just because the original developer stops developing the software doesn't mean its gone forever.

Ironically, in this case the original developer is developing a fork called MariaDB.

And it's not the only fork either. If Oracle doesn't play nice with MySQL I suspect we'll see 3-4 forks emerge until one of them takes the lead.

ticopelp
November 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I think that's the opposite of irony.

Anyway, someone in the media or on the Internet declaring the death of open source just means it's a day with a "Y" at the end.

orlox
November 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Ironically, in this case the original developer is developing a fork called MariaDB.

And it's not the only fork either. If Oracle doesn't play nice with MySQL I suspect we'll see 3-4 forks emerge until one of them takes the lead.

An important fork has been in development for over a year now, drizzle (https://launchpad.net/drizzle). I think it strips mysql of certain not commonly used features and focuses on performance for multiple cpus. It's in very active development, and php bindings are available for it.

Greg
November 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I think that's the opposite of irony.

Anyway, someone in the media or on the Internet declaring the death of open source just means it's a day with a "Y" at the end.

Oooh! I got this! It's definitely Monday, right?

ticopelp
November 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Oooh! I got this! It's definitely Monday, right?

You are correct sir!

Hallvor
November 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Is this (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/technology/business-computing/30open.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1259596821-ezT5sZjjj3iEcXQH3nx6/Q) the end, my friend?

Yes. It looks like open source will be filing for bankruptcy soon. Someone please call Mark Shuttleworth.

BETATEST
December 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Seriously doubt that's the close of open source. Since the days of the Timex Sinclair, people have written free applications just because they wanted to. MySQL goes away ... we'll have someone come up with MoiSQL or MeSQL or UbuntuSQL ...

I never really understood the survival strategy of free product & upgrades, pay for support. I mean, look at us. We use it, dissect it, improve it on our own, post solutions on free forums ... and never paid for support from them. How did they expect to survive with people like us ... sharing free support?

dragos240
December 1st, 2009, 01:03 AM
We can build a fork of mysql. If it does indeed close, the old code is still FOSS.

phrostbyte
December 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
If MySQL goes closed, it will either be forked or everyone will switch to Postgres. MySQL is not the only FOSS DB in town. :D

the yawner
December 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
How do you kill the Lernaean Hydra?

tgalati4
December 1st, 2009, 04:30 AM
The death of open source is when microsoft starts buying up pieces.

mickie.kext
December 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Whats Microsoft on desktop, that's Oracle on Enterprise. Same predatory business model (sort of...).

But I do not think that *any* company can kill open source. Slow it down, yes. Kill it, no.

Chame_Wizard
December 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yes. It looks like open source will be filing for bankruptcy soon. Someone please call Mark Shuttleworth.

Good idea.:popcorn:

Wasn't hacking(white hat) the ethic grounds for FOSS?:lolflag:

murderslastcrow
December 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Unless newer versions of MySQL become then next OS X, I don't think we have much to worry about. Then again, I'm no guru.