PDA

View Full Version : GooglePhone (no, not Google Voice)

hobo14
November 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone else seen this?: http://www.wiseandroid.com/NewsItem.aspx?category=News&path=November&itemid=32
Looks like Google will be launching a mobile phone service.

This could be the beginning of the end of telco's polices of "calls vs data", and force telcos to finally just treat voice calls as data.

Interesting times...

I don't buy anything but the most basic of mobile phones, and I don't sign contracts with telcos, but I'd buy a decent phone, and sign up with Google Phone (once it surfaces, and finally filters it's way over to Australia)

EDIT: Hmm, am I getting my Google Product/Service names confused...?
Who cares, it's good stuff, heading our way!

EDIT 2: Re edit #1; yes, I am (should have read the article myself, rather than relying on the slashdot summary). I'll leave the OP as it is though. Anyway, I'll be buying a GooglePhone and getting a GoogleVoice number as soon as the opportunity arises.

Psumi
November 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I don't buy anything but the most basic of mobile phones, and I don't sign contracts with telcos, but I'd buy a decent phone, and sign up with GooglePhone (once it surfaces, and finally filters it's way over to Australia)

Find any mobile phones WITHOUT texting and web browsing support?

hobo14
November 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Find any mobile phones WITHOUT texting and web browsing support?

Not sure what you're getting at, but yes, you can buy phones without browsing support.