PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How To available for RAID on 9.10?

calelettus
November 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hello,

I have a simple desktop with 9.10 running smoothly and one 1T hard drive. I want to add a second identical drive then mirror them.

A couple of questions:

1) Can someone point me to instructions for the easiest way to add RAID1 after I add the second drive? or;

2) Would it be easier to wipe the disk and then install both drives and reinstall 9.10? I don't believe the install routine offers a choice to create a RAID does it?

Thanks.

phillw
November 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hello,

I have a simple desktop with 9.10 running smoothly and one 1T hard drive. I want to add a second identical drive then mirror them.

A couple of questions:

1) Can someone point me to instructions for the easiest way to add RAID1 after I add the second drive? or;

2) Would it be easier to wipe the disk and then install both drives and reinstall 9.10? I don't believe the install routine offers a choice to create a RAID does it?

Thanks.

There is a how to over here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408461

It's a good discussion - so, have a good read - it does get more into the latest version later in the thread.

regards,

Phill.

calelettus
December 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
There is a how to over here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408461

It's a good discussion - so, have a good read - it does get more into the latest version later in the thread.

regards,

Phill.

Very helpful, thanks!

I wonder if the following might work as well for me: What if I just installed Ubuntu server (which offers the raid option right off the bat) then install the gnome desktop. Might that not be easier?

OR, maybe this is the easiest of all. The box is mainly used for storage so could I just install both 1T drives, install Ubuntu onto one then use rsync to backup to the second drive every night? This is just my personal stuff - media files, etc., so not mission critical. I'd be curious to hear thoughts either way.

Thanks!