PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 + Windows XP Dual Boot ( my understanding )

HalfNew
November 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hey guys!

first, let me tell ya, I spent the last 2 days configuring my PC to make Ubuntu the primary OS and I LOVE IT!

Here's my main question..

I have obviously Ubuntu and XP on a separate partition. Grub ( even if I crashed it and spent over 5 hours fixing it ) gives me both options which is great. The main reason why I installed XP is for the games. VirtualBOX is on my system but i can't play game.

Can i have my system boot both OS at the same time so I can RDP in XP to play w/o rebooting?

i doubt it but who knows!

thanks in advance and UBUNTU RULZ!!!!

Tallivant
November 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
As in have both OS's running at the same time?

Not really, but you could have a linux virtual machine running ubuntu set up on Windows, much like you have VirtualBox on your Linux. Try Parallels Workstation or Bochs. There's not much point in that, though.

VirtualBox is usually able to handle most games, though (assuming you installed XP on top of it). What were you trying to run?

HalfNew
November 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
That's what I expected.

I need to install The Sims3 and some other games for my girlfriend. VBox doesn't recognize the video card driver so it's not running. Hopefully Vbox will come out with a video card pass-through to fix this...

phillw
November 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
That's what I expected.

I need to install The Sims3 and some other games for my girlfriend. VBox doesn't recognize the video card driver so it's not running. Hopefully Vbox will come out with a video card pass-through to fix this...

VirtualBox themselves have a well supported forum, you could do a lot worse than head over there http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23008 has a couple of links in the thread for VB and 9.10.

Regards,

Phill.