PDA

View Full Version : Quick help with Java

blazemore
November 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hello Java people.
I am a bit stuck on what should be a very simple problem.
I have to ask the user for a first name, and if the string is empty, I'm to print an error and ask for the name again. My current code is as follows:

void setFirstName() {
System.out.print("Enter First Name: ");
firstname = UserInput.readString();
if firstname.equals("") {
System.out.println("ERROR, No first name was entered");

}
} // end setFirstNameObviously that just carries on if the string is empty, which isn't ideal.

Maybe some kind of do while loop? (While firstname is empty, do this...)

I'd appreciate your help.
nb yes this is an assignment, but it's a small part of a much larger program, most of which I can do; it's just this one stupid bit.

jespdj
November 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Learn about 'while' loops here: The while and do-while Statements (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/while.html)

Note: The code you posted does not compile because you forgot some parentheses on the if-statement. It should be:

if (firstname.equals("")) {

blazemore
November 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Learn about 'while' loops here: The while and do-while Statements (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/while.html)

Note: The code you posted does not compile because you forgot some parentheses on the if-statement. It should be:

Ugh yes. I previously learned Python, and its beautiful, clean code (almost like pseudocode) makes it VERY difficult for me to get my head round Java syntax, especially having to declare types for methods.

Zugzwang
November 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Apparently, you want something like a "do ... while" loop:

void setFirstName() {
do {
System.out.print("Enter First Name: ");
firstname = UserInput.readString();
System.out.println("ERROR, No first name was entered");
}
} while (firstname.equals(""));
} // end setFirstName

blazemore
November 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks, that's excellent.
I don't know if you noticed but our university wrote us an excellent UserInput class. I can put a link up if anyone wants it, it saves a lot of code, if you haven't already written one yourself.