PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anticipating getting next LTS

colintivy
November 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hi folks!

Thinking that the next LTS (10.04 ?) will be on the horizon, I am planning to get my Home partition out on its own, for which I think that I have the required guidance already (Kuznetsov etc.,). Is there any other advice out there that I ought to take note of as well, to avoid unnecessary complications?? My 8,04 is fully up to date, seeing the posts about 9.10 makes me glad that I have not bothered with the intermediate new versions but will now have to bite the bullet! Advice welcomed.

colintivy

audiomick
November 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Colin.
Have a look at these:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330184
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1300029

Dunno if they a really relevant, but I think they are worth a read.

Kevbert
November 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
10.04 is looking very promising. (Un)Fortunately the only major bug I've seen so far is being unable to access floppy drives (without having to use terminal). This also occurs in 9.10, but is being worked on.

colintivy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Folks!

Thanks for both replies. They sound a bit A level for me just now. I had hoped that getting Home on to its own partition would mean that anything normally installed by Synaptic would be carried over to be alongside the new version of OS. I do not have any special i.e Foreign programs installed except Turboprint2 to get my Canon printer working (very well).

Am I missing anything? I was originally alarmed by a suggestion somewhere that 9.10 was an LTS, which now seems to be erroneous. I had in the background of my mind that 10.04 would be but on reflection, with a 3 year spacing for non-commercial users, surely it will be 11.04 ?? At least that will give me a bit more time! I am suprised that having a separate Home partition being so beneficial it is not the default situation when doing a clean instal rather than one lurking in a custom option.

Any views??

colintivy

phillw
December 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Having a seprate/home by default - is something that is commented upon frequesntly - most seem to say, yes it should be the default. 10.04 is the LTS. Try running your system with LiveCD of 9.10 - this will pick up any immediate audio/video/network problems.

Mine has behaved perfectly since i upgraded from 9.04 --> 9.10, except when I messed up the upgrade from Grub --> Grub2 (The instructions have been ammended to take me into account - lol)

For 10.04 - you'll be switching over to ext4 and Grub2 in all likely-hood. I'm setting up a partition just for Lucid to go play with - as with you - the hiving off my home directory to it's own partition is a pain, but I have a good backup script :-)

Regards,

Phill.

darkod
December 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
For anyone impatient about next 10.04 here is a daily-build ISOs: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Of course, I don't know what you can expect from it at this stage. I have an ISO downloaded but haven't burnt and tried it yet.

colintivy
December 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. I am pleased not to be the only one thinking that a separate Home partition should be the default when installing. I do intend to do just that before any update. I intend to wait awhile before trying 10.04 to see if any immediate bugs have to be fixed. Linux Format will probably come up with a Live CD that will do. I got on to 8.04 that way having failed to instal PC Linux OS which refused to get past the first panel! On to Mr. Kuznetsov I hope.

colintivy :) :)

Pity the poor souls who seem to have rushed into Win 7 at great expence, no doubt having to wait for SP 1 et al before thinking about a successor.