PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Brown Screen Of Death ... screenshot!

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5826/ubuntubrownscreenofdeat.png

Perfect Storm
November 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Nice gimp'd ^_^

I was thinking of a wallpaper or screensaver in brown related to BSOD instead.

t0p
November 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I don't get why the message says "Press any key to continue" and there's also a 'Next' button. Is that how this kind of thing is usually formulated?

Also, the 'Brown Screen of Death' title on the illustration is silly. A real Brown Screen of Death would have some unfathomable error as its title, I'd imagine.

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I don't get why the message says "Press any key to continue" and there's also a 'Next' button. Is that how this kind of thing is usually formulated?

Also, the 'Brown Screen of Death' title on the illustration is silly. A real Brown Screen of Death would have some unfathomable error as its title, I'd imagine.

The error message is a spoof obviously, where the unnamed operating system crashes and Ubuntu reports on the crash, hence the blue text. Ubuntu is relaying a message and so the context is slightly different.

The error message is a very basic code and easy to decipher.

Just a bit of light humor, that is all. ;)

t0p
November 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Just a bit of light humor, that is all. ;)

Oh, I'm all for humour. I love a good laugh, me. Just poking holes in your joke.

Kevbert
November 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
We need this to be on a par with other operating systems. There shouldn't be 'Press any key to continue' as the PC should just sit there until it's disconnected from mains power.
I miss the old BSOD.

Johnsie
November 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ubuntu doesn't do a screen... It just freezes randomly and doesn't tell you why until you look though some logs.

Psumi
November 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ubuntu doesn't do a screen... It just freezes randomly and doesn't tell you why until you look though some logs.

Actually, X has a blue screen:

http://www.hertenberger.co.za/images/failedb.png

I am sure there are others.

Virtual Liberty
November 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Brown Screen of Death - why the text is in blue ? :-s

XubuRoxMySox
November 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I used to have one that said:

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

-Robin

Sand & Mercury
November 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Here's what the real brown screen of death typically looks like for me:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4065116840_93b8fb959b.jpg

Excedio
November 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Here's what the real brown screen of death typically looks like for me:

[Picture moved to attachments]

Am I the only one that loves the new login screen?

zagz
November 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Smear troll :D

now there's a new one.

quinnten83
November 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Probably,
to me it feels like walking into a funeral parlor.
It really is too dark, I try to autologin as much as possible.

qamelian
November 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Nope, I think it looks great.

Exodist
November 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Actually, X has a blue screen:

http://www.hertenberger.co.za/images/failedb.png

I am sure there are others.

Now I have seen this one. MAY TIMES, but it was due to me fat fingering mode lines back in the day when you actually had to work to get X running.

Perfect Storm
November 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Nope, I think it looks great.

Ditto.

I like color arrangement.

lykwydchykyn
November 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I don't think it can really be "of death" unless you get a kernel panic, or a stream of DRDY errors from the HDD. I mean, if you can still use the thing (even at a console), it's not dead yet.

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Brown Screen of Death - why the text is in blue ? :-s

The text is blue as I have already mentioned above, that Ubuntu received the message. The unnamed operating system typically has white text on a blue background. Ubuntu "corrects" this "mistake" and hence blue text on a white background. You see, the entire message is about Ubuntu correcting the "mistakes" of this other operating system.

The "Brown Screen Of Death" is in fact a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) handled by Ubuntu, which took charge to resolved the "mistake" ... in a caffeinated formating type of way! lol

Hope that explains it. ;)

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I like the login screen, but more that it now follows upstream GNOME like Fedora did a bit ago. It is much more functional and simple than the old GDM and the old and new KDM. I wish that it was easier to theme though. When I followed a tutorial to change the theme and background, it worked. Though I had odd side effects, such as GDM accessibility icons in my system tray. I do like how you can just change the background and colors without needing to make a themepack.

To OP: You should make more BrnSODs for us. ;)

arashiko28
November 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
jeje, no need to explain here...

I did had several kernel panics on my old laptop may it rest in peace, that used to overheat, the fan was damaged on windows I got blue screen of death, on Ubuntu, the kernel panic gave me a black screen and said "Overheating, 95º reached, Ubuntu will shut down to prevent further damages", that's why after I replaced the fan I converted 100% Linux. :D

dragos240
November 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Has anyone noticed that the error is the versions of windows in order from latest to earliest? And the second is the filesystems that windows resides on?

Lyleb
November 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM

I sure don't. Not only is the color scheme depressing, but the fonts look horrific and render like runny watercolors on newsprint.

It looks like something that would have been impressive as a first generation Graphical login.

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Has anyone noticed that the error is the versions of windows in order from latest to earliest? And the second is the filesystems that windows resides on?

;)

lisati
November 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I used to have one that said:

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

-Robin

Where do I get an "any" key? :)

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Where do I get an "any" key? :)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7726/anykey.jpg

lisati
November 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7726/anykey.jpg

Thanks, but what am I going to use for "/" and "?" on my laptop once I've installed it? :)

Epiclow
November 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
That's funny.
Nice job in GIMP.

I'm not used to GIMP yet.:)

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
That's funny.
Nice job in GIMP.

I'm not used to GIMP yet.:)

If you are referring to my "Brown Screen Of Death", then that was created in Paint.NET.

Epiclow
November 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
If you are referring to my "Brown Screen Of Death", then that was created in Paint.NET.

Yes, I was referring to that. Sorry.
I've never used Paint.net before, though I have downloaded it before, I've never used it.

u.b.u.n.t.u
November 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, I was referring to that. Sorry.
I've never used Paint.net before, though I have downloaded it before, I've never used it.

Paint.NET is like Paint Shop Pro without the bloat, or like Microsoft Paint done really well. It is an everyday paint program, free and portable. Excellent.

Unfortunately there is no linux version, for it would be brilliant if there was one.

http://www.paint.net/

MechaMechanism
November 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Uh... I guess you could say, it crapped out! Now let out your collective groans. :lolflag:

witeshark17
November 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Clearly the best option is to find Ubuntu coffee beans to grind and share! :-\"

eragon100
November 30th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't think it can really be "of death" unless you get a kernel panic, or a stream of DRDY errors from the HDD. I mean, if you can still use the thing (even at a console), it's not dead yet.

And even then it still is not "really dead" most of the time. Often enough, you are still capable of using Magic SysRequests :D