PDA

View Full Version : [other] does GRUB automatically update from windows bootloader?

severedsolo
November 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
just a thought.... i have 2 different entries in my windows bootloader, windows 7, and a recovery partition which (for reasons too complicated to explain) i had to temporarily delete,

i noticed that when i boot windows, from GRUB it hands over to the windows bootloader which then asked me whether i wanted to boot windows or the recovery partition, but the recovery partition also appeared in GRUB,

If i put the recovery partition back in, will GRUB automatically find it? or will i still need to hand over to the windows bootloader to run the recovery partition?

or better yet, can i manually add it to grub if this isnt the case?

its grub2 i think.... (the one that comes with Ubuntu 9.10)

mbzn
November 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Grub will not automatically update to show it, it can be manually changed.

severedsolo
November 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
ok thats fine, i suspected that, as it didnt delete it from grub when i deleted it from the windows bootloader... is there a kind of "idiots guide" out there to changing grub entries? (not that im an idiot.... i have just never done it before, i googled and came up with nothing or nothing for GRUB2 anyway)

Mark Phelps
November 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
All GRUB does is mount the partition you point to and hand over control to the MS Windows boot loader in that partition -- which is why, if you have multiple MS Windows OSs, you get a OS selection menu.

You can manually add an entry to GRUB for your recovery partition but if there is no boot loader in that partition, it will not work.

wirate
November 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
/boot/grub/menu.lst

has the entries. you can delete or add whatever you want

presence1960
November 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
/boot/grub/menu.lst

has the entries. you can delete or add whatever you want

That will work for Legacy GRUB (0.97). The OP thinks he/she has GRUB 2. There is no menu.lst in GRUB 2. Here are a couple of links about GRUB 2:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

wirate
November 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
didnt know that. thanks :)

severedsolo
November 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
ok i sorted it, thanks for the help, i just ran update-grub and it sorted itself,