PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a present from my parents

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I just got off the phone with my parents and they keep bugging me to tell them what I want for Christmas this year but I really can't think of anything.

There are some cool netbooks out right now I honestly don't "need" one since I have a laptop already (it's 4 years old but gets the job done - see signature). My parents didn't give a budget but I'm figuring about a $350 limit on a gift which also limits any decent netbooks out there so it most likely wouldn't be worth it to get one with really low specs.

Can you all think of anything else that would be a good gift to tell me parents to get me?

era86
November 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I've found that food, in the form of homecooked or gift cards, are a GREAT wildcard gift! Then again, I love to eat!

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I've found that food, in the form of homecooked or gift cards, are a GREAT wildcard gift! Then again, I love to eat!

haha true, but I don't think my parents would count a homecooked meal as a gift. they practically shove left-overs in my truck when I visit

sisco311
November 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
a book? i love to eat books.

gnomeuser
November 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
350$ for one Christmas gift.. damn.. that's more than 3 times the budget I have for buying presents for my entire family.

How about woolly socks, you can never have to many woolly socks. Or a nice book. Or a board game (I recommend RoboRally).

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
a book? i love to eat books.

hmm....I've never eaten a book:shock:

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM
350$ for one Christmas gift.. damn.. that's more than 3 times the budget I have for buying presents for my entire family.

How about woolly socks, you can never have to many woolly socks. Or a nice book. Or a board game (I recommend RoboRally).

Yeah, my parents like to go overboard on gifts but it would be the only gift aside from stocking stuffers (which tend to be potatoes, oranges, and toothbrushes....my family is weird)

semitone36
November 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM
What do you like to do?

Marvin666
November 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I got my dad an inverter, and a few accessorizes for it(cigarette lighter y cable, battery clamp to cigarette lighter socket, etc).

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM
What do you like to do?

I dunno, regular stuff haha. Obviously computer stuff and regular guy stuff but I feel like I have everything I need since I've been pretty independent for the past few years and have a tendency to buy shiny objects as they appeal to me.

Going back to the netbook idea, with the following specs could I get one in the round about area of $350:

- 10.1 to 14'' screen
- solid state drive (even like 14GB)
- no OS needed (as I can put on my own copy of 7 or any linux distro)
- bluetooth

I haven't done any research on the Atom (or other netbook) processors so I don't know what their performance is so I can't give any spec requirements in that area. I'm would just use it as an internet box basically and would just sync it with my other laptop whenever I brought it back to my office.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I'm getting my mom a Snuggie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-GLMMJ0).

No idea what I'm getting my Dad.

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I'm getting my mom a Snuggie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-GLMMJ0).

No idea what I'm getting my Dad.

Snuggie v2.0 (digg.com) (http://digg.com/d31BHgY)

cartisdm
November 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I think I'm going to go with getting an HP Mini 110 netbook. I just posted a thread about getting it setup with linux :)