PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire One + Ubuntu

arashiko28
November 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have a friend willing to install Ubuntu on a Acer Aspire One laptop specifications are:

Intel Atom
CPU N720 @ 1.60GHz
798 MHz, 0.98GB RAM

My question is, which is the best option to install in it, does this fits in the netbooks categories? Or I can install regular Ubuntu with no remorse?
Actually runs XP SP3.

audiomick
November 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I am guessing, but I think you might be better off with Netbook or Xubuntu.

davec64
November 30th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I've got an Aspire One the A150 (120gb HD) it runs Ubuntu UNR Karmic quite happily with no problems!

rmadams1
November 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm running regular karmic on an aspire D250 with no issue.

Aearenda
November 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
There are several variations on the Aspire One - and some use video hardware that is fiddly with Ubuntu.

Arashiko28, which model is it that you have? On my AOA-150 there is a label underneath that says 'Model no. ZG5'.

Another way to tell is the native graphics resolution - 1024x600 is easy, higher resolution suggests fiddly graphics hardware.

By the way, the Netbook Remix makes it easier to work with the small screen, but netbooks all run standard Ubuntu quite happily as far as CPU performance is concerned. I use standard Ubuntu most of the time as I have a large external screen and keyboard attached at home.

arashiko28
November 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
It's ZG5. I downloaded the UNR but will have to wait until next week because my friend had to go before the download finished, still, she saw my laptop and she fell for it, so it's another count for Ubuntu!

ac7ss
November 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I recently acquired an Acer Aspire One and the first thing I ran on it was a netbook edition from the Ubuntu site. The only thing I have to recommend is to be sure you have a wired network connection available, as it is much easier to get the broadcom drivers for the wifi downloaded if you are wired. (The install would not install the drivers even though they were on the live-disk.) There is a work around for this, but it is much easier to let the system do it it's own way.

On another note, Hulu is smooth on it, and it will even run Second Life (very slow frame-rate but it runs.)

Aearenda
November 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM
The ZG5's don't use Broadcom (at least mine doesn't), so that shouldn't be a problem in this case :-)

The only fiddly bit on a ZG5 (AOA-150) really is enabling the fan control, and getting both SD card slots hot-pluggable if you can't manage with only one. See the pciehp and fan control parts of the A110L section at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/Ubuntu9.10, but I find that page all a bit hit-and-miss as far as my AA1 is concerned, since power management and suspend etc work fine on mine.

arashiko28
November 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Will have to wait until next week, but thanks, I'll be checking these things before installing.