PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD burning: POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR

Jonathan Métillon
November 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to burn a DVD+R (Verbatim media) with a Sony Vaio VGN-TX3XP (http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2006/07/25/Sony-VAIO-VGN-TX3XP-Ultra-Portable-Notebook/p1) (European equivalent to US TX610) on Ubuntu 9.10. The burner is a Matshita UJ-832D.

It used to burn very well on Ubuntu. But now I'm having the same issue described in the thread Power calibration Error? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915674)

I checked the firmware version running DISCInfo (http://discinfo.rpc1.org/) 1.7.0 BETA on wine. It says 1.61 and I can't find any newer version from Google and Sony Vaio support websites.

lshw outputs:

description: DVD writer
product: UJ-832D
vendor: MATSHITA
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.61
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
Brasero outputs:

BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ WRITE@LBA=300h failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 1572864/4699979776 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2140:48 RBU 96.8% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_action
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_set_current_action
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 1572864/4699979776 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2290:09 RBU 96.8% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr0: flushing cache
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 1572864/4699979776 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2439:31 RBU 96.8% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr0: closing track
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 1572864/4699979776 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2638:39 RBU 96.8% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: 1572864/4699979776 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2788:01 RBU 96.8% UBU 100.0%
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ CLOSE TRACK failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr0: closing disc
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ CLOSE DISC failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: HUP
BraseroGrowisofs stdout: HUP
BraseroGrowisofs process finished with status 5
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error
BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error
BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error
error = 0
message = "no message"
BraseroGrowisofs stopping
BraseroGrowisofs got killed
Session error : unknown (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2811)GnomeBaker outputs:

/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output errorAny idea how to fix that... without buying a new burner? ;)

(Will buy a cleaning kit soon.)

salemboot
January 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Couple of options:
Choose one or two of the following
1. Install schilings version of the DVDr tools. http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
2. force the kernel to see your dvdr as ide
3. Install an older version of Ubuntu (8.04, 8.10)
4. Hope the ubuntu developers realize there is a problem and fix it by 10.x

I have the same problem. Vaio's dvdr drive is finicky

Jonathan Métillon
February 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thank you very much Salemboot!

Actually I prefer to hear about an Ubuntu hardware support issue than a broken burner :P

Maybe I can help developpers realize there is a problem by submiting a bug report?

Won't install an older Ubuntu. But for suggestions 1 & 2:

Why is DVDr tools special? What is the schilings version? A paying version? (I'm not speaking English natively.)

How would I force the kernel to see my dvdr as ide? Why it sees it as SCSI?

Again, thanks!

Jonathan Métillon
November 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hi,

Almost one year later, trying to re-burn a DVD+RW (already burnt years ago). Still same errors.

Is there some news? I didn't update Ubuntu since a long time (using a MacBook Pro daily). I'm still on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS the Lucid Lynx. Maybe it's been fixed since then?

Thx!

IcarusR
November 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Have you tried the obvious things, such as

Cleaning the laser lense.
Try other media, specifically 4x Ricoh DVD+RW. I have read on rpc1.org (firmware site) that they are notoriously fussy over media. And rated as c$£* dvd drives.
Try burning at a very slow speed.

Generally the "SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR" error is related to lack of power. So if this was a usb drive I'd suggest powering with an external brick.

You could try removing the drive & cleaning all the contacts & refitting.

Sorry not really any stunning suggestions I know but may help ??

Jonathan Métillon
November 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Cleaning the laser lense.

Nop.

Try other media, specifically 4x Ricoh DVD+RW.

Neither. Again a Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4x.

I have read on rpc1.org (firmware site) that they are notoriously fussy over media. And rated as c$£* dvd drives.
Try burning at a very slow speed.

Matshita in general or the UJ-832D in particular?

Generally the "SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR" error is related to lack of power. So if this was a usb drive I'd suggest powering with an external brick.

It's not. It's the embeded drive you can see here from the product description in my signature, the Vaio TX3XP.

You could try removing the drive & cleaning all the contacts & refitting.

Will do!

Sorry not really any stunning suggestions I know but may help ??

Thank you! :)

Jonathan Métillon
November 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and it's not better.

IcarusR
November 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
So try cleaning the laser lens, CAREFULLY.

Neither. Again a Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4x.

So try a different make of disk, 4x Ricoh DVD+RW recommend on rpc1.org.
And burn at a SLOW speed, I normally do at 2x & leave it to do it's thing while I have a coffee.

Matshita in general or the UJ-832D in particular?

Specifically the UJ-832D. But I would stay clear of them as a brand.

Maybe less hastle / stressful just to bite the bullet & buy a new drive, can't be that expensive. £30 - £50 here for latest sony.

mojotexas
April 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I had the same error. The answer turned out to be just a lack of disk space, there wasn't enough room to create the temp files for burning the DVD. I deleted some files and that was that.

ktec
December 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Experiencing same problems as you.

1. Its definitely NOT a problem of disk space.
2. It used to work fine back in ubuntu 9
3. I have cleaned the lense.
4. I have tried with various different burn tools - wodim/brasero etc
5. destroys every disc i throw at it

ravidborse
December 30th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Hi All(Solved in my case)

- To Resolve Below Error related to my Sony DVD-RW Just Remove your DVD-RW player
- I used to get the DVD burning: POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR in UBUNTU. and In fedora I get the below error. Both Error are same. And Below Steps work for me.
- Open it with the screwdriver(Its very Easy). Now you can see the Reader-Writer Lense .
- Take any solution(Prefer Alcoholic or the solution you use it to clean LCD) and cotton.
- Use a cotton swab and something like alcoholic solution(small) to gently wipe the lens. Just a quick scrub will do.
- Dry the laser pickup lens with the other end of the swab.Keep it 10-15 Mins to dry that lens.
- Do this carefully Please. I have done it on my own risk. you can also. below is the error

DVD-RW Sequential

Devices
-----------------------
SONY DVD RW AW-G170A 1.74 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 2.0.2
KDE Version: 4.5.5 (KDE 4.5.5)
QT Version: 4.6.3
Kernel: 2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686.PAE

Used versions
-----------------------
growisofs: 7.1

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1352KBps.
0/669122560 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU 0.0%
=== last message repeated 20 times. ===
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
:-( attempt to re-run with -dvd-compat -dvd-compat to engage DAO or apply full blanking procedure
:-( write failed: Input/output error

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:326720 -dvd-compat -speed=2 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

overdrank
December 30th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hi and welcome, please view the date of the thread. Old thread = Closed thread.