PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Problem with Login screen manager

yancarlo
November 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hello there I've been trying to change the look and feel of my Login Screen and Booting Screen (when the OS is booting up) and i've seen alot of videos about change the login screen. They said that i need to navigate to "Sysytem > Administration > Login Window". But actualy all I have is Login Screen wich doesnt have any features to change the login screen. All I can do is change the Login Automactly feature, nothig else.

So, can some one explain me how do I get this Login Window thingy?

Seen lots of videos but they doenst explain.

Thanks in advance.

Yancarlo

cyberknutt
November 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I have the same problem. Upgrading to 9.10 broke my xtelnet sessions (as well as Samba) making the latest Ubuntu offering useless for my purpose.

The settings for the xtelnet permissions was under Login Window but it is missing. Is Ubuntu being dumbed down to Windows level?

cyberknutt
December 4th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I have the same problem. Upgrading to 9.10 broke my xtelnet sessions (as well as Samba) making the latest Ubuntu offering useless for my purpose.

The settings for the xtelnet permissions was under Login Window but it is missing. Is Ubuntu being dumbed down to Windows level?
Problems solved - installed OpenSolaris.

SeattleOtaku
December 4th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Check /usr/share/images/xsplash for the background image and logos/"throbber"s. Here's another thread to help out with changing those around (I just tweak mine manually, not scripted):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1277030

cyberknutt
December 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Check /usr/share/images/xsplash for the background image and logos/"throbber"s. Here's another thread to help out with changing those around (I just tweak mine manually, not scripted):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1277030
That does not help with all the other settings that the Login Window function allowed you to change.

cyberknutt
December 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
... They said that i need to navigate to "Sysytem > Administration > Login Window". ...

Yancarlo

I believe that this is actually a problem with the version of Gnome chosen for inclusion in 9.10. It appears to be incomplete.

I find it amazing that this could happen in what is supposed to be a major release of what has been a popular version of Linux. I know a number of people who have dropped it since upgrading and finding so many fundamental things broken.