PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remount CD/DVD Drive

Cola_Cartel
November 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hey all,

I accidentally unmounted my CD/DVD drive because I'm a moron. How do I get it back? I'm running Karmic on a Dell Latitude D520.

Thanks!

yeats
November 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Have you tried just rebooting?

gregsmith_to
November 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
My system gets into a state sometimes where it won't autoload a CD/DVD, I have to do it on the command line (which means the unmount also has to be done on the command line). Rebooting works too, but this isn't W95, there should be a way to fix it. The disk even pops up in the 'Places' pane of the file browser, but it doesn't mount and right-clicking on 'mount' doesn't do anything.

Cola_Cartel
November 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah I've tried rebooting, the CD drive still won't autoload and I don't know how to find it otherwise

Cola_Cartel
November 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Also nothing appears in the/media/cdrom drive or the /cdrom drive

gregsmith_to
November 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM
(1) when you say you 'accidentally unmounted the drive', what exactly do you mean? normally you unmount the disk, not the drive.
(2) Is this just one particular disk? Some CDR formats (UFS?) are only readable by quite recent linux versions.

You might find a useful line appearing in /var/log/messages. put the disk in, then do 'ls -lrt /var/log' to see if one of the files has a fresh timestamp, then you can do 'sudo tail /var/log/message' (or whatever file) to see what's there. This can help with all kinds of problems.