PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse

ignorance
February 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM
Well everything installed fine and the java application is working nicely, but since we also get cobol and i don't like going to windows for that i installed the cobol-plugin, but it isn't working when i try to start a new cobol project it refuses and gives me an error which is posted in the error log which i can't find. Now where can i find that error log, how can i fix the problem so i can run cobol in eclipse and does anyone knows a free compiler for compiling cobol?

JoshuaPDavis
February 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
I don't know anything about COBOL, but I can help you with the eclipse side of your question.

You can find your eclipse error log from inside eclipse by selecting from the menu Window -> Show View -> Error Log. If you don't see Error Log under Show View, then select Other... and then select PDE Runtime -> Error Log.

You can also find your error log on the file system under <workspace_dir>/.metadata/.log .

Josh

ignorance
February 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
thnx now i had a view on it and it gave me this error

Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".

so does this means bad plug-in?

JoshuaPDavis
February 21st, 2006, 06:45 PM
Without knowing any specifics about your COBOL plug-in or your Eclipse version, my best guess is that your plug-in expects a different version of Eclipse, or more specifically, a different version of SWT.

My suggestion would be to check your plug-in's documentation to find out what version of eclipse it works with, or to try another COBOL plug-in (if such exists) or another COBOL IDE. I can't make any recommendations, as I am not a COBOL programmer, and the few COBOL programmers that I have met used Microsoft WordPad as their "IDE".

Josh

ignorance
February 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM
well i suppose using gedit is just as good as WordPad but i need a decend compiler. and that is what i cannot find.

Moonbuzz
April 27th, 2006, 07:28 AM
The Eclipse plugin (http://www.eclipse.org/cobol/) only allows you to use Eclipse as an IDE over an existing compiler, I checked, and it uses Fujitsu' NetCOBOL compiler, but I think that ACUcobol has their own plugin. At either case you'll need to have the compiler installed on your machine prior to using Eclipse.
As it is, I don't find Eclipse or other IDE's that important with COBOL, they're more needed when you're using a library/class heavy OO language like Java. With COBOL, you should be fine and dandy with vi or emacs.

Moonbuzz
April 27th, 2006, 07:30 AM
well i suppose using gedit is just as good as WordPad but i need a decend compiler. and that is what i cannot find.
For Windows or GNU/Linux?

adssse
August 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM
If you are looking for a free cobol compiler, take a look at tinycobol. I believe it implements the 85 standard and it is cli, but its what I use when I need to do some cobol.