PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with minor apps

Stepho_62
November 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Hi Folks,

I upgraded to 9 10 about 3 weeks ago n all is good. Well sort of.

I've lost a lot of my "little" apps that tell me how my machine is performing, connected etc.

Down in the right end of the task bar I used to have a network app that told me if I was connected to wireless or not. My battery monitoring app, my sound card controll app etc etc etc.

I don't have these apps anymore n whats more if i go to applications>ubuntu software centre I can't find any of them.

Please help, they make my puter run better. Oooops incidentally its an ASUS F3JP about 3 years old in march.

Cheers, A

SteveDee
November 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Folks,

I upgraded to 9 10 about 3 weeks ago n all is good. Well sort of.

I've lost a lot of my "little" apps that tell me how my machine is performing, connected etc.

Down in the right end of the task bar I used to have a network app that told me if I was connected to wireless or not. My battery monitoring app, my sound card controll app etc etc etc.

I don't have these apps anymore n whats more if i go to applications>ubuntu software centre I can't find any of them.

Please help, they make my puter run better. Oooops incidentally its an ASUS F3JP about 3 years old in march.

Cheers, A

Not sure why you have "lost" these, but try going to; System > Preferences > Startup Applications

You should be able to enable them if they are listed.

If they are not listed you may need to add them. For example, the settings for the Network Manager are:-
- Name: Network Manager
- Command: nm-applet --sm-disable
- Comment: Control your network connections

If this works for Network Manager, I'll give you the others that you are missing.

Stepho_62
December 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Steve,

In systems>preferances>startup applications There are a heap of applications listed and ticked yet down in the system tray, the only ones listed are the start button, display resolution app and clock.

I used to have a bluetooth manager (this was in the list ticked but not in the task bar until I accidentally removed it) now I can't get it back.

I can't connect to my phone, I can't see my sound controls, I can't see my power manager.

They are all ticked but I have no idea if they are running.

Oh n the command for the network app got it added but there is nothing in the system tray.

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers, A

Leppie
December 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
You could try to use the notification area:
- Right click on the panel, choose Add new itmes
- Select Notification Area, click add

This most probably will show you the icons for the running applications you do not have an icon for in the panel.

Stepho_62
December 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Leppie,

Thanks for responding. I've tried to do as you suggested but none of the apps I want are in the list. I'm assuming that the notification area is the same area as MS "system tray" area?

It has 3 icons in it at the moment, the power button, the dual display app and the day, date, time and weather jigger.

I can't get the right mouse functionality to give me the options you describe BUT I can use the "add to panel" dialog box to add icons. Trouble is none of the ones I have are the ones I want.

Cheers, A

Stepho_62
December 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Ok, folks.

I've solved it.

Leppie, I have a nasty habit of not reading instructions completely.

I went back followed your instructions to the letter n it works.

Thank You. :D Thank You. :DThank You. :DThank You. :DThank You. :DThank You. :DThank You. :DThank You. :DThank You.

Stepho_62
December 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Now can someone tell me how to get bluetooth connection app back. I don't mean the connection manager.

It was an icon that made the connection.