PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which Linux distros come with pre-installed updates?

rawfool
November 29th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hi all. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04. But the problem is it requires an internet connection after installation for basic updates. Without which, a few commands are not working. I want to know if there are offline updates available for Ubuntu. For example, I cannot play mp3 files in Ubuntu immediately after installation.
Or, are there any other Linux distros which comes with pre-installed updates?
Plz help me with this.
Thnx.

Aearenda
November 29th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Take a look at aptoncd, or keryx, both mentioned in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1340006).

sakisds
November 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I think the mp3 playback is not an update problem, its not included because of idealogical things, ubuntu is based on free software.

I know that minimal CD downloads the latest updates on installation(but still you need an internet connection.

rawfool
November 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
@ Aearenda & sakisds

Thanks for your replies. Are there any other Linux distros which comes with pre-installed updates ?

sgosnell
November 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Updates are issued irregularly, so the installation .iso can't keep up with them. Updates is not your problem, though, it's a matter of what apps are included with the distro, unless I misunderstand you. If you want a distro that includes mp3 players, look at Ubuntu Studio. I think that may include what you want. No distro is going to include every possible app, though, it's just not possible.

LequidMetal
November 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Mint allows you to play multimedia straight out of the box .

nitstorm
November 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
also i think GeeXbox but its a linux based os jus focused on playing multimedia, u can't to anything else, my friend's using it and says its pretty good and fast..