PDA

View Full Version : Can't live without Windows after all

iamgeniusrnti
November 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM
So I was in facebook and I clicked this link: http://www.gamevance.com/member_hardware_software_requirements.php

It came up with a warningpopup telling me I must have Windows in order to use their site... well I guess it's all over--I must reinstall Windows LOL!!!

pwnst*r
November 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
ok.

Tipped OuT
November 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
:) http://www.facebook.com/pages/NO-LINUX/56129176943

frup
November 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM
The screen shot spells Mozilla wrong too.

Warpnow
November 29th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Firefox plugin User-Agent Switcher can fool these things.

User3k
November 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Oh no. Facebook doesn't work with Linux... What am I to do. That's it. I am leaving Ubuntu for..... Oh wait, I can't stand Facebook. NVM, :D

BenAshton24
November 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
lol just change your user-agent and fool it :P

lykwydchykyn
November 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Funny... I just removed gamevance from someone's computer last week. It's adware, showed up in a spybot scan.

Methuselah
November 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Funny... I just removed gamevance from someone's computer last week. It's adware, showed up in a spybot scan.

Which would explain why they don't 'support' linux.
Cuz I was wondering if you have flash, javascript, mozilla and all those things, why do they care about the underlying OS?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM
@ iamgeniusrnti

Just search gamevance in google. Nothing but removal tools and suggestions on how to get it off your computer.

Sounds like a reason NOT to re-install Windows, if you ask me.

SunnyRabbiera
November 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
You could use playonlinux to help install IE7 to mess with sites like this, but if its a spyware site then i would avoid it.

Frak
November 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Watch out, IT'S A TRAP!

iamgeniusrnti
November 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
HAHA WOW! I only expected one or two are you serious responses! Just for the record, I wasn't serious LMAO!!! Thanks for the user-agent suggestion though because there may be a site out there (USAF related) one day I would need access to and with my luck, they would require Explorer.

You know, a FB friend downloaded a video the other day and got this "Cyber Security" adware... HAHAHA! Hmmm... wonder what would happen if I ran that Video in Ubuntu or under Wine... Ubuntu would probably just sit there and laugh but under Wine, theoretically, I should instantly detect what files it's dropping and where so I could help out a Windows user--food for thought.

hibliss
November 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Facebook works fine with Linux. I use Epiphany Browser, but Firefox and Opera both work fine. You need Sun Java to upload pictures, but Facebook itself requires no plugins or anything special, I log in every day from an Ubuntu machine.

iamgeniusrnti
December 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM
Facebook works fine with Linux. I use Epiphany Browser, but Firefox and Opera both work fine. You need Sun Java to upload pictures, but Facebook itself requires no plugins or anything special, I log in every day from an Ubuntu machine.

Oh yea... FB works fine in Ubuntu--it's only this one App that doesn't work. Probably because it knows it cant infect a Linux box.

HappinessNow
December 1st, 2009, 03:38 AM
So I was in facebook and I clicked this link: http://www.gamevance.com/member_hardware_software_requirements.php

It came up with a warningpopup telling me I must have Windows in order to use their site... well I guess it's all over--I must reinstall Windows LOL!!!

Funny... I just removed gamevance from someone's computer last week. It's adware, showed up in a spybot scan.If a website doesn't work with Linux, I would simply not visit that website.

Simple solution.