PDA

View Full Version : Start emacs with window as python shell

japhyr
November 29th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hi,

I am starting to use emacs for python development. I have a .emacs file that opens emacs with two windows. I want to have one of the windows open as a python shell. For example, when I open a python file and execute it, a butter called Python opens, which gives error messages. But to see that, I always have to cycle through the buffers to get to it.

What can I put in my .emacs file that will open one of my windows to the python shell on startup?

jpkotta
November 29th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I use python-mode.el, not the built-in python.el, because I think it's better.

(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode.el"
"Major mode for editing Python source." t)

Then I prefer ipython to the cpython interface. ipython.el is available from the ipython website.

;; load ipython.el if ipython is available
(when (executable-find "ipython")
(require 'ipython nil 'noerror))
(when (featurep 'ipython)
(setq python-python-command "ipython")
(autoload 'py-shell "ipython"
"Use IPython as the Python interpreter." t))

;; make up and down arrows work in the interpreter buffer
(add-hook 'py-shell-hook
(lambda ()
(local-set-key (kbd "<up>") 'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
(local-set-key (kbd "<down>") 'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)))

Then you can start the interpreter with C-c !, and execute the buffer/region/file/etc. with similar keystrokes. C-c ! will automatically switch to the interpreter buffer in other-window if there is some other buffer there.

nvteighen
November 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the python-mode.el tip. It's really much better than the built-in mode.

japhyr
November 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is quite helpful, but I am still having one problem. I am trying to set up emacs to start with three windows: one vertical window on the left for the program file, a python interpreter in the upper right, and a scratch window in the lower right. I've got my .emacs file set up so emacs opens with a dired buffer on the left (which is what I want), and two scratch windows on the right. The scratch windows are set to python mode.

The problem is, when I put the line "(py-shell)" in my .emacs file, it always starts the python interpreter in the next window. I found a workaround by cycling back to the dired window before issuing the py-shell command in the .emacs file, but this seems pretty inelegant. Is there a more straightforward way to do this? I thought it had something to do with the value of "py-shell-switch-buffers-on-execute", but I can't figure out what to set that to in order to make this work.

.emacs file:

;; A humble, growing .emacs file.
;; Begun 11/2009

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/")

(require 'linum)

;; Don't show splash screen at startup.
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

;; Turn on line numbering.
(global-linum-mode 1)

;; Set up Python environment.
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode.el"
"Major mode for editing Python source." t)

;; load ipython.el if ipython is available
(when (executable-find "ipython")
(require 'ipython nil 'noerror))
(when (featurep 'ipython)
(setq python-python-command "ipython")
(autoload 'py-shell "ipython"
"Use IPython as the Python interpreter." t))

;; Set up initial window layout.
;; Large left vertical window for program file, upper right window for python interpreter, lower right window for scratch.
(split-window-horizontally)
; Open dired buffer in main window
(dired "~/Development - Pangolin/OpenLessonPlanner")
(other-window 1)
(split-window-vertically)

;; Attempt to get python shell in upper right window
(python-mode)
;(setq py-shell-switch-buffers-on-execute nil) ; Does not generate errors, but does not seem to change functionality of py-shell.
;(py-shell)

(other-window 1)
(other-window 1)
(py-shell) ; Workaround to get python shell open in upper right window.

;; Fringes (space between line numbers and text:
; (set-fringe-mode 5)

;; Get rid of gui stuff.
; (menu-bar-mode -1) ; no menubar
; (scroll-bar-mode -1) ; no scroll bar
(tool-bar-mode -1) ; no tool bar

screenshot:

jpkotta
November 30th, 2009, 01:14 AM
You should look at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWindows, there are some packages listed there that may help you do what you want. Also, you should play with set-window-dedicated-p.

You can learn about py-shell-switch-buffers-on-execute or any other variable with C-h v py-shell-switch-buffers-on-execute RET. It probably doesn't control what you want.

japhyr
November 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the links and the overall help.