PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.0 launches on its first device, Droid by Motorola.

HappinessNow
November 29th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Droid is supposed to be the first Android 2.0 phone.

reference: http://www.android.com/index.html

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home

Now that it is coming time to buy a new phone, the fun part is who to go with?

HTC Hero

Motorola CLIQ

or the new Droid?

DeadSuperHero
November 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I'm planning on going with the Droid due to me already being on the Verizon network. Droid isn't exactly pretty, but it's probably one of the fastest phones out there right now.

HappinessNow
November 29th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Okay after quick comparison (http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/ch.Mobile-Phones.compare?pMotProductsToCompare=131740_69073&productId=131740&productId=69073) definitely the Droid over the CLIQ

Now the real question: HTC Hero through Sprint or the Droid by Motorola through verizon?

HappinessNow
November 29th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm planning on going with the Droid due to me already being on the Verizon network. Droid isn't exactly pretty, but it's probably one of the fastest phones out there right now.
I'm currently with ATT so I could go Sprint or Verizon...verizon also has the HTC Droid ERIS which looks very similar to the HTC Hero.

HTC Hero $179 with Sprint

HTC Droid ERIS $99.99 with Verizon*

Droid by Motorola $199.99 with Verizon*

*Reference (https://store.verizonwireless.com/app_clients/wls/default.aspx?programcode=droid&Cart=1000:2069&CheckOut=true#/zip%7C97333/page%7C0)

PhoenixMaster00
November 29th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Motorola Droid its the start of a new generation of better Android Phones.

I have a HTC Hero but im already looking to get a more powerful bigger screen one. Acer Liquid, HTC Passion, SE Xperia 10 or the Droid. Not to say the Hero is bad but it just doesnt have the same wow factor imho.

HappinessNow
November 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Motorola Droid its the start of a new generation of better Android Phones.

I have a HTC Hero but im already looking to get a more powerful bigger screen one. Acer Liquid, HTC Passion, SE Xperia 10 or the Droid. Not to say the Hero is bad but it just doesnt have the same wow factor imho.Interesting thanks for the post, I'll check out the other ones you listed...I am strongly leaning towards the Droid by Motorola.

gnomeuser
November 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have been drooling over the Droid for some time now, I really need a new phone and I would like a proper smart phone with Android for this task.

Sadly asking around with the different companies here the Droid (or Milestone as the EU launch name seems to be, major difference seems to be that Milestone is multitouch enabled) doesn't have a delivery date and nobody could even tell me if it would ever be available in Denmark.

So I am stuck waiting or engaging in some kind of import which does sound expensive given that I can't rely on the hardware being subsidized.

Another phone worth looking into is the upcoming HTC Dragon, a very slim phone which still carries much the same hardware and capabilities as the Droid.

PhoenixMaster00
November 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have been drooling over the Droid for some time now, I really need a new phone and I would like a proper smart phone with Android for this task.

Sadly asking around with the different companies here the Droid (or Milestone as the EU launch name seems to be, major difference seems to be that Milestone is multitouch enabled) doesn't have a delivery date and nobody could even tell me if it would ever be available in Denmark.

So I am stuck waiting or engaging in some kind of import which does sound expensive given that I can't rely on the hardware being subsidized.

Another phone worth looking into is the upcoming HTC Dragon, a very slim phone which still carries much the same hardware and capabilities as the Droid.

I heard the HTC Dragon/Passion was closer to the HTC HD2 in terms of specs with a snapdragon processor an such?

Acers first step into the market is out soon an looks to be priced pretty good at around £350 for comparison the HD2 is around £480 and the SE Xperia 10 could well cost upwards of £550!

HappinessNow
November 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM

I read somewhere that the Droid by Motorola was due to launch in the EU...if I find the announcement I will post a link.

phrostbyte
November 30th, 2009, 04:58 AM
UGGGG Android or Maemo?!

:D

kevdog
November 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Isn't this topic a little bit old?? I've had my Droid for well over a month.

tacantara
November 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Droid is supposed to be the first Android 2.0 phone.

reference: http://www.android.com/index.html

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home

Now that it is coming time to buy a new phone, the fun part is who to go with?

HTC Hero

Motorola CLIQ

or the new Droid?

I've been shopping for a new smartphone (currently I use a Palm Centro), and the Droid is on the top of my Christmas "wish list." I shopped at two local Verizon stores (my Centro is on Verizon's network) and a Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart price was about $40 USD less than the asking price at the Verizon stores. If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, check them out. The one in my area carries a small selection of popular phones on behalf of Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T (although they don't have the iPhone).

I was quite impressed with the speed of the Android OS, and the apps that come with the phone. I'm also impressed with Verizon's customer service. Good luck in your search.

bashveank
November 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I played with the Droid today and loved it. Really snappy hardware and a sweet screen. I had a Hero for a week but it turned out to be dog slow.
Anyway, I'm stuck on Sprint, so I'm going with the Samsung Moment until something better comes out.

HappinessNow
December 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
I decided to keep my old current phone until it dies.

wersdaluv
December 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
I decided to keep my old current phone until it dies.
Let's wait for new devices :D

January is big for Android

HappinessNow
December 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Let's wait for new devices :D

January is big for AndroidI'm thinking March will be nice and ripe also...I am actually interested to see how long I can actually hold out for?

docus
December 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm thinking March will be nice and ripe also...I am actually interested to see how long I can actually hold out for?

I was close to cracking and going for the HTC Hero, but I held my nerve and I'm going to wait for the Nexus One...