PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome system monitor uses cpu?

expxe
November 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
i noticed that the cpu usage is around 10%, is that normal, seems high when compared to windows task manager

whoop
November 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
i noticed that the cpu usage is around 10%, is that normal, seems high when compared to windows task manager

It is similar on my machine. It uses much cpu because its status is updated frequently, you can lower the speed by increasing the interval in preferences. But it is not a big deal as it only uses cpu when you are using/displaying it.

falconindy
November 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Gnome System Monitor operates at the quantum level and roughly follows the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Vadi
November 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Started doing that after they added the fancy graphs in.

expxe
December 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
im interested in the network bandwidth counter, is there a lightweight program for that?

falconindy
December 5th, 2009, 04:40 AM
im interested in the network bandwidth counter, is there a lightweight program for that?
Sure, get the stats off the command line.

#!/bin/bash

[[ -z $1 ]] || [[ ! -h /sys/class/net/$1 ]] && echo "Error: Provide a valid network interface" && exit 1

stats=($(cat /proc/net/dev | grep $1 | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{print $1 " " $9}'))

echo Stats for: $1
printf "Received: %5.2fmb\n" $(echo "scale=2;${stats[0]} / 1024 / 1024" | bc -l)
printf " Sent: %5.2fmb\n" $(echo "scale=2;${stats[1]} / 1024 / 1024" | bc -l)
Throw this in a script file (I called it ethstat since netstat is taken).

bluelamp999
December 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Try the netspeed panel applet, it's in Synaptic...

akashiraffee
December 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Check out GKrellM. It monitors processes, cpu(s), network connections, filesystems, etc etc. and is super configurable. Like there's plugin's for phases of the moon and earth and probably everything else. And skins. Tons of crazy skins like some mp3 players have. Looks real nice. Works real well.

expxe
December 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Try the netspeed panel applet, it's in Synaptic...

i installed it but i can't find it in the menus anywhere after the install.....

bluelamp999
December 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
i installed it but i can't find it in the menus anywhere after the install.....

This is down to a long-standing bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/21625

To automatically refresh the list inside the "Add" dialog without logging out and logging in again you can restart gnome-panel using the command:

kill -HUP $(pidof gnome-panel)

You should then be able to right click on your panel, select 'Add to panel...' and select the Network Monitor Netspeed applet...