PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help dual booting

SlashHeist
November 29th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I just picked up a new Asus U50a laptop running Windows 7 64bit version. I want to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7.

I already have a Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 9.10 install disc that I made. Havent used windows for a long time so I was just wondering the best way to go about and do this.

Thanks in advance.

presence1960
November 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I just picked up a new Asus U50a laptop running Windows 7 64bit version. I want to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7.

I already have a Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 9.10 install disc that I made. Havent used windows for a long time so I was just wondering the best way to go about and do this.

Thanks in advance.
Figure out how much space you want to allocate to Ubuntu. Defrag windows at least once, I suggest twice. Then from windows disk management utility shrink the windows partition to create that amount of free space for Ubuntu. Then boot the Ubuntu live CD/USB and at the partitioner window choose use largest continuous free space to install Ubuntu onto that free space you created.

I would back up all your data prior to doing anything.

SlashHeist
November 29th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Figure out how much space you want to allocate to Ubuntu. Defrag windows at least once, I suggest twice. Then from windows disk management utility shrink the windows partition to create that amount of free space for Ubuntu. Then boot the Ubuntu live CD/USB and at the partitioner window choose use largest continuous free space to install Ubuntu onto that free space you created.

I would back up all your data prior to doing anything.

Sweet thanks a lot. I figured it would be that simple, I was just over complicating things since I haven't used Windows in such a long time.