PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD won't boot on restart

alreadytaken4536
November 29th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hello, I'm trying to boot the live CD from a TOSHIBA laptop running Windows Vista. I burned the disc with the correct software on a lightscribe HP CD-R. When I go into My Computer, it shows the Ubuntu disc in the CD drive and it appears to have burned correctly, when I run the disc it gives me options on installing or simply booting with the disc in the drive. When I restart the laptop, all it does is take me into Vista. Is there a step I'm missing?

mechro
November 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
You probably need to change your Boot Device order in the BIOS. When you first power up the computer you might see a message that tells you to press such and such a key to enter the BIOS. On mine I have to press the Delete button.

If you've got a manual it might tell you in there.

Having said that, if you're able to boot other CD/DVD's eg Windows then that would indicate a problem with your Ubuntu disc, possibly a bad burn.

alreadytaken4536
November 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
You probably need to change your Boot Device order in the BIOS. When you first power up the computer you might see a message that tells you to press such and such a key to enter the BIOS. On mine I have to press the Delete button.

If you've got a manual it might tell you in there.

Having said that, if you're able to boot other CD/DVD's eg Windows then that would indicate a problem with your Ubuntu disc, possibly a bad burn.
I haven't done anything like this before and I don't know how to do anything with the BIOS.

mechro
November 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Have you ever booted your laptop from a CD/DVD?

alreadytaken4536
November 29th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Have you ever booted your laptop from a CD/DVD?
No. I've never installed an operating system period.

lisati
November 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I use a Toshiba laptop. When I want to start the computer from CD/DVD I need to push F12 while the Toshiba logo is showing at power up. Hope this helps.

mechro
November 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM
OK. You'll need to change the boot order in the BIOS.

Basically when you turn on your computer it checks a list to see what to boot first. In your case it's probably set to boot the Hard Drive first so you need to alter this list to put your CD/DVD drive first.

Have a read of the following link which gives an explanation...

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

If you can give me as much information as you can about your laptop I might be able to find a manual and tell you which buttons to press.

mechro
November 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
+1 for what lisati said. Nice and simple. Hope it works.:D

alreadytaken4536
November 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I use a Toshiba laptop. When I want to start the computer from CD/DVD I need to push F12 while the Toshiba logo is showing at power up. Hope this helps.
It worked and it's running great. Thanks!