PDA

View Full Version : "My beans are hidden!" - Why?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm increasingly seeing posters with "My beans are hidden!" instead of their post count. Curious as to why those of you who hide your post count do it?

dragos240
November 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I don't hide mine. But there are reasons. People with high post counts may want to hide theirs to prevent constant PMs.

SuperSonic4
November 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Don't hide mine because I disabled PMs :D

Plus it's nice to see

lisati
November 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I hide my beans because there are others with lower bean counts whose answers to support questions are more accurate and more helpful.

jpmelos
November 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I can't find a reason to PM anyone with high bean count... Can anyone tell me one? Do you mean people with high bean count are target of spam?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I can't find a reason to PM anyone with high bean count... Can anyone tell me one? Do you mean people with high bean count are target of spam?

Either spam or possibly being inundated with support question assuming a high post count equates to Ubuntu Guru or something?

subdivision
November 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Either spam or possibly being inundated with support question assuming a high post count equates to Ubuntu Guru or something?

Spot on.

lisati
November 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM

After receiving a couple of support questions via PM I changed my settings so that I normally only receive PMs from forum staff and people in my contacts list. Most of the time, support questions are better dealt with publicly, so others can benefit from the discussion.

And yes, I receive several spam emails each day to the address I have associated with the forums & launchpad. I'd be a lot better off if the promises in many of them were legitimate offers.

Virtual Liberty
November 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Total Posts: 59

Does it make you feel better ?

ZankerH
November 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm increasingly seeing posters with "My beans are hidden!" instead of their post count. Curious as to why those of you who hide your post count do it?

Because it only counts posts in the technical areas in the forum, which I only ever post in after

-Man pages
-Online documentation
-Google

Have all failed me. Which is to say, almost never. Therefore, it isn't representative of my post count at all, since the overwhelming majority of my posts are in the community cafe.

HappinessNow
November 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
My beans are not hidden.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Total Posts: 59

Does it make you feel better ?

Just asking why, nothing to feel "better" about. Just a curious question I had.

ZankerH
November 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Because it only counts posts in the technical areas in the forum, which I only ever post in after

-Man pages
-Online documentation
-Google

Have all failed me. Which is to say, almost never. Therefore, it isn't representative of my post count at all, since the overwhelming majority of my posts are in the community cafe.

Also, because I feel that post counts in general just promote elitism amongst older users.

Virtual Liberty
November 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM

My philosophy:

Beans ( post count ) doesn't indicate the level of knowledge someone could have.
As long as you can help others, who cares about how many posts you've made ? :-k

Uncle Spellbinder
November 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
My philosophy:

Beans ( post count ) doesn't indicate the level of knowledge someone could have.
As long as you can help others, who cares about how many posts you've made ? :-k

Agree on both counts.

wilee-nilee
November 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
The beans are not really hidden a click on the name will give you that information if needed. Personally my amount means nothing to me so it is as it is.