PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit Safe to Install

milesc3
November 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I've been reading about a number of problems associated with the install of Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit. These problems range from random freezes to certain components not working as designed.

Would it be safer for me to install 9.04 until these issues (reputedly associated with the kernel) are remedied.

I am planning to have a dual drive setup with Windows 7 on one drive and Ubuntu on the second drive and manually choose between the two when I boot the system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...TIA!

darkod
November 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am dual booting with Win7 on both desktop and netbook. Both OS are 64bit on desktop, 32bit on netbook. I did clean installs, not upgrade (just started using Ubuntu with 9.10). Haven't noticed any issues so far.
Yesterday I also updated to 2.6.31-15 and some people are reporting issues, I haven't noticed anything.

I have single drive on both machines. For dual drives just one tip: I think it's much better before installing Ubuntu on your second drive to set that drive to be first boot option in BIOS so that during installation Grub2 will have the correct order of drives (when booting Ubuntu you want to set second drive first choice right?). If you do that change after Ubuntu and Grub2 are installed sometimes you might have some issues.

Of course, if you are worried about any hardware not being recognized run it as LiveCD environment first. That's always recommended.

NoaHall
November 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It's fine for me. 64 bit is great.