PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wacom "Relative Mode" Problems

mistersocks
November 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hello,

Karmic Kola 64-bit

Wacom bamboo
Tablet not working when set to Relative mode

I am a some what experienced user. After a clean install of Ubuntu I have my Wacom tablet up and working but not without problems. Everything functions correctly so long as things are set to absolute mode. When I switch to relative mode I run into issues inside of my drawing programs.

After using xsetwacom to change my wacom tablet to relative mode it seems to work correctly but in GIMP and MYPAINT the Stylus reacts sporadicly, by sporadically I mean almost not at all, and I lose pressure sensitivity.

I have tried reverting back to the Xorg method but run into the same problems. I have also tried to set the mode to relative in the .fdi options again it appears to take the proper effect but inside of the programs it again fails to function properly.

:: Please HELP :: (ill be on windows till some one can :confused: )

ola
March 6th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Did you find any solution? I'm having the same problem.

mistersocks
March 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Yeah actually i did put the words in quotes so instead of stylus put 'stylus' or what ever the item you are trying to change the settings for is called in your xorg.conf

ola
March 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Since then I have run into another problem (with Lucid and Wacoms (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1423278)) so I'll see when I can try it. Thanks a lot for answering though!

mistersocks
March 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I have been making a whole set up for digital art work including 3d design and painting. I might be able to offer you some advice. What are the other problems you have hade.

ola
March 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ah, nice!

I can't find the device with xsetwacom anymore (since Lucid upgrade). Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1423278

Thanks in advance!

//Ola

megawebmaster
March 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hi! I've got Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch Tablet (CTH-461) and I've got the same problem as you - pressure sensitivity works when Stylus is set to Absolute mode, but when I'm trying to set it to Relative (which is more convenient to me) Stylus isn't working nearly at all in Gimp... Have you solved this problem in Karmic 64-bit?

ola
March 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I'm still having the same issues so no, I haven't found a solution for it yet.

megawebmaster
March 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
So we have to wait for newer driver or something...

P.S. Now I've got another problem - touch isn't working at all. Maybe you have a few pieces of advice for me?

ola
March 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM
What do you mean with touch?

mistersocks
March 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I have to be honest and say that I have given up on Ubuntu. Its a wonderful OS and has its uses. I have even used it to push Linux on some family members, in fact my mother won't use anything else any more. But I just use Debian for my 3d work and digital painting. You will still have many of the problems you do now but they just seem easier to work out....a lot easier.

megawebmaster
March 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I mean using tablet as touchpad with fingers ;)

ola
March 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Nice! I didn't even know that was possible.

There has been a bug report in Windows on similar offset problems (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=154657) for some years. The solution there is to start Gimp with --no-wintab which disables the pressure sensibility but it works. No good solution.

This issue might be the same? I haven't tried it yet.

BuffGuy900
March 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
@ola: I think the GTK bug is spot-on, however I can't (and don't want to) run GIMP without pressure sensitivity.

Here's my issue as I experienced it:

Only when tablet is in relative mode (as desired)

GIMP or Inkscape fixes the the drawing-tool coordinates at (0,0) on the WINDOW
or SCREEN (depending on program setting)

GIMP/Inkscape reports drawing-tool coordinates as if the the tool was placed at
(0,0) in the WINDOW or SCREEN
This may be a negative value

The actual pointer (read by Kubuntu) exhibits desired/expected behavior
Therefore I can control menus, etc.

Since it happens in both GIMP and Inkscape, I think this is an issue with GTK

This does not occur when tablet is in absolute mode

Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)
GTK v. 2.16.1-0ubuntu2
GIMP 2.6.6
Wacom Bamboo Fun 4x6

thegeologician
May 27th, 2010, 11:01 AM
@BuffGuy900: yeah, I see the same behaviour. When looking at the raw input from the board (with xidump) that is what the coordinate reading is: in relative mode, you get relative coordinates for every readout, i.e. somewhere in the range +/-~40. Seems, these get mapped into the "drawing space" directly...

@wegawebmaster: same here. haven't got the touch to work (yet?) - did you find a solution?

thegeologician
May 27th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Update: I found some solution for the touch in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8823142&postcount=875) post, but experience the same problems others report: the mouse-movement with the touchpad is sketchy, often looses track... Gestures work in principle, but with the same issues...
Let's hope for a new version of the driver soon...

Favux
May 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi thegeologician,

Let's hope for a new version of the driver soon...

A new gestures patch was submitted a few weeks ago. It was reviewed and was resubmitted today. Hopefully it will pass muster and be comitted shortly. Then you'd just need to clone the xf86-input-wacom git to get updated touch/gestures.